MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Home front

Article about: Just wondering if Germany had a Home Front with ARP'S etc, dig for victory and a Dads Army, you know like Britain did. Never seen photos or read anything about this. Many thanks.

hog
    ?

Default Home front

Just wondering if Germany had a Home Front with ARP'S etc, dig for victory and a Dads Army, you know like Britain did.
    Never seen photos or read anything about this.
    Many thanks.

Luftshuzt, Volkssturm are the equivalents!

Volkssturm - Wikipedia

Reichsluftschutzbund - Wikipedia

Certainly the Volkssturm were a good example of Germany’s equivalent to the British Home Army; although to my knowledge they had little to no affiliation with the German military and were set up by the Nazi party. It was staffed by conscripted males between the ages of 16 and 60 years (who were not already serving in the military). They were expected to bring their own uniforms and were equipped, generally, with poor/outdated weaponry. Most, understandably, did quite poorly in combat. I believe the 3/115 Siemensstadt Battalion, who were mostly older WW1 veterans, performed quite admirably during the Battle for Berlin.

I have always thought this an interesting photo of a Volkssturm brigade in Berlin. Note the medley of uniforms but many have been equipped with SS helmets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hog
    ?

Interesting, many thanks for that. I wonder though did the Hitler Youth do much in the way the Boy Scouts did for the war effort on the home front.

I would say that wartime contributions of the Hitlerjugend went far above national expectations of British equivalent youth groups such as the Scouts. Many were conscripted into the Volkssturm for combat duties in 1945. Some were as young as 12.

CBH
    ?

Thats a great photo of Volkssturm in Berlin, what a motley crew gathered to face the Soviets.
    Thanks for sharing.