Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How can I go about aging repro uniforms and weapons

Article about: Fantastic,I'll be picking up as much of my collection as I can without permits at the end of august so now Ive got the info on how to sort out my replicas it'll be one of the first jobs!

?

Default How can I go about aging repro uniforms and weapons

Heys guys,I have a number of denix replica WW2 guns and a US paratrooper uniform(no way i can afford a genuine one)that i'm wanting to age so they fit in with all the original equipment ive gathered for 2 mannequins...ive never even heard of any good ways of going down this road,any help is appreciated!

Default Re: How can I go about aging repro uniforms and weapons

Well the way I aged my denix M1 garand was with alittle bit of 0000 steel wool on the metal parts and sanding, and black washing the stock. I will post a picture up in a sec.

?

Wear it!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Here are the pics, hope you can see what I am talking about.

IMG_1591.jpgIMG_1592.jpgIMG_1594.jpgIMG_1590.jpgIMG_1595.jpgIMG_1593.jpg

?

Hey garand looks fantastic..thats the look im after!

?

Haha thanks Adrian that was my first thought but im 5'8" and the uniform i have is for someone around the 6'3" mark and i cant find any volunteers to wear on my behalf

?

Hey Jas what was the black wash made up of?

Quote by Torch View Post
    Haha thanks Adrian that was my first thought but im 5'8" and the uniform i have is for someone around the 6'3" mark and i cant find any volunteers to wear on my behalf
    Roll the trouser legs up!! And the sleeves!! Wear a belt!! Do it in the middle of the night and wear a balaclava so no one recognises you!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The black wash is just made up of Black acrylic paint and water, the consistency is up to you. I sanded the stock first, then dinged it up alittle so the wash sits in dents, and painted it on. Dont let it dry on there though, just leave it on for abit and then wipe it off, after afew goes it should start to darken up for you. After I was finished I wiped on afew coats of pale boiled linseed oil, brings it back to a look you would expect from a rifle.

Look like an original now, doesnt stand out against all of the other deac's.

Quote by VolksJager View Post
    The black wash is just made up of Black acrylic paint and water, the consistency is up to you. I sanded the stock first, then dinged it up alittle so the wash sits in dents, and painted it on. Dont let it dry on there though, just leave it on for abit and then wipe it off, after afew goes it should start to darken up for you. After I was finished I wiped on afew coats of pale boiled linseed oil, brings it back to a look you would expect from a rifle.

Look like an original now, doesnt stand out against all of the other deac's.
    Sounds good! Another way is to mix black and/or burnt umber artist's oil paint with odourless white spirit or even cheap vodka (!!) in a solution of 10 to 1. Rub on with a lint free cloth and allow to dry. Repeat until the desired finish is required.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast