Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

How close to the original? Austrian Pea Dot Parka

Article about: Gents, Just out of curiosity, other than the plastic buttons on this 1961 Austrian Pea Dot camouflaged parka, how close is the pattern/construction to the WWII issues equivalent? I had an op

Default How close to the original? Austrian Pea Dot Parka

Gents,

Just out of curiosity, other than the plastic buttons on this 1961 Austrian Pea Dot camouflaged parka, how close is the pattern/construction to the WWII issued equivalent? I had an opportunity to buy this on the cheap and though it is post war, I think it will display well.

Any input you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images

CBH
    ?

The WWll SS pattern is more green dominant, while the Austrian is more brown based.
    I still remember the first time I came across one of these in person many years ago, it was described to me as a SS smock and I was very disappointed.
    But these are well built and hardwearing, I occasionally wear mine while dog walking in the woods. Getting harder to find these days, along with the matching equipment and backpack.

CBH,

Thank you for your insight. I could see who those who are out to deceive could manipulate these as to being WWII issued. I see your observation about the color variants between WWII color patterns with post war as well. I was able to snag a cap as a combo deal.

Regards,

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images

CBH
    ?

The cap is a reproduction made from zeltbanns , hence the splinter pattern interior, they where made in the late 80’s , I have one. There wasn’t a Camo cap made, that I know of. Wore my 1956 Austrian Camo pants in the woods today, tough as nails.

CBH,

Thank you again! Everything was fortunately on the cheap and maybe I'll wear them on my next jaunt in the woods or to the wilds of the grocery store.

Joel

CBH
    ?

I’m not up on prices as I purchased mine in the 90’s, but I’m sure they are climbing like German Border guard etc. I believe the hats where made in Germany and I’ll dig mine out and get a photo of the label. There is a tread devoted to modern camouflage somewhere on here.