Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you display your collections at home?

Article about: Hi all, I am little curious how you display your collections at home? I am asking because I know people (well one) that refuses to visit me and no more contact since I started to collect som

Default How do you display your collections at home?

Hi all,
    I am little curious how you display your collections at home?
    I am asking because I know people (well one) that refuses to visit me and no more contact since I started to collect some German WWII caps and medals and have it visible at home.
    Just because I collect that does not make me a Nazi. Some people don´t understand that.
    Of course I understand that items upset people, but for me I collect the history.
    In some situations I have to remove the items and no I absolutely not tell everybody.
    It´s not illegel here to collect this, but if you have many people at home and they have issues then there can be legal problems.
    Maybe wrong place to ask the question but what is your experience how people react about your collection?
    I also know people that thinks its really interesting of course.
    Thanks for reading.

?

There is no way to convince people who don't collect that this has nothing to do with political ideology. I display my collection in separate room small as it is it's mine. I close the door whenever company visits. I've had fascinated people admire the collection, others revolted. I avoid showing to anyone that is not a collector or a true friend. Good luck
    Regards, Al

Well, i live in germany - so collecting german stuff is all the more problematic, but so far all people who have come over believed me that it was non political. One person even told me "If anyone talks more then two minutes with you they know you are not a political extremist."

But i dont display any big swastikas. I have my one wall full with german helmets, paintings sabers etc., dirrectly opposed to my other wall which hosts a giant Red Fleet Flag from 1953 - so i suppose i already show neutrality, by collecting both extremes.

I guess it also depends on how you present it. You can present your collection glorifying, or you can present it more neutrally, like a museum.

Adding to that i also study History and Art history, so i have a reasonable explanation for my facination.

-> In conclusion. The people that know you good enough, should not have a problem, as they would know you dont glorify and support these Ideologies.

I think it often has to do with what you collect and how it’s displayed, for example people may react harshly if you have lots of political/SS items or have banners and flags on display. And people may react differently if you have lots of equipment and combat related items because they often lack the potentially offensive material. I would assume people would think different things when seeing a full SS setup compared to a foot soldier setup.

Of course I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t collect certain items, it’s all important to collect and it all needs to be preserved. Unfortunately no matter what you collect and display some people simply won’t understand and refuse to try and understand. I do think having it in its own separate room is important, it allows you to enjoy it more and can keep unwanted guests out.

MAP
    ?

There is at least one or two other threads on this topic. Can't find them now.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

One third of my militaria collection is TR related.
    Half of my Belgian items are Belgian Congo related.
    A other controversial theme, these days.

Everything is exposed in a separated room.
    I got a Jewish friend who knows I got TR stuff in the house.
    They visite us on a regular base, but never the war room.
    Nothing to it.
    We don't even discuss it.
    One advantage; she knows what a collectors spirit is, here father had a huge Dutch Delft collection.
    Displayed at The Hague museum now, for the next 50 years.
    So that helps...
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Any friend who stops visiting because of what you collect, couldn't have been much a friend in the first place. A true friend would know what kind of person you are. For myself I have never had any problems with my collection, it is all stored in the small spare bedroom which I claimed as my 'office' several years ago. I have a wall full of framed WW1 medals, and at each side of the room are mannequins, one in a WW1 South Lancs tunic, and the other in a WSS SD tunic. I have various helmets and caps on show... and other bits of interest, my rifles are stacked in a corner and my Bren sits on the floor. Much of my DDR collection is stored in small storage drawers and tunics are in a wardrobe. Although my collection is displayed in a very haphazard way, I like it just the way it is. It is by no means a very large collection, although my wife might think otherwise! I never have anything on display downstairs though.

Cheers,
    Steve

The fact of the matter is that if you live your life trying to appease others and avoid offending their sensibilities, you'll never get anywhere, do anything or find any joy in life. Your hobbies are for you; they're about bringing joy to your day-to-day, and that's it. To hell with what anyone else thinks. Life's too short to worry about that. The sort of people who would see a collection of historical memorabilia and scream 'Nazi!' are probably a few sandwiches short of a hamper as it is. If they want to hate you for what you collect, that's their problem, not yours.

I display my entire collection openly, scary swastikas and all. The people who visit know what sort of person I am, they know I have a passion for history, and they know damn well that I'm not a Nazi. If they did have any thoughts of that nature, they'd quickly be put paid to by the massive Soviet flag I've hung on the wall opposite the door. Human nature is ugly, as is history. Surely it's better to stand up and look it in the eye than to sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened in the first place?

B.B.

I've had similar issues myself over the years. Surprisingly though I've had more positive reactions from complete strangers. I once had a cable company worker do some work at my house and he couldn't get over how cool he thought my collection was. On the other hand a family friend came over to visit one day and she had no idea about my militaria collection. I had just bought a very large railroad eagle 'Which I later found out was a fake' and I had it propped up in front of my dresser. When the family friend saw this her eyes lit up and she instantly ran out of sight. She later calmed down and understood why I had it after I explained to her my passion.

But I agree with the previous statements. If someone cuts off all contact with you because of this, they can't be that good of a friend.

Hi friendd.
    The showcases in which I display my collection are in a room where I have my table and my PC, and my militaria library; my son his game console and it is also the room where my wife irons clothes....
    Regards
    Santi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast