Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How does one incresase Reputation?

Article about: How does one incresase Reputation? Get more of them funky green squares on the WRF ID-tag?

Quote by danhashman View Post
    How does one incresase Reputation? Get more of them funky green squares on the WRF ID-tag?
    Your asking for trouble posing that type of question on here. But seeing as you asked...to quote the Philosopher Socrates... 'The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavour to be what you desire to appear.'

Personally I don't give a toss about my own reputation - which is probably just as well. But it is nice to get the occasional 'thanks' or 'like' for my posts. That way you know your efforts are appreciated.

@harry;
    I "liked" your posting only half! ;-)
    I don't think danhashman posted what he did in order to get trouble.
    Many before him asked the same question, without having troubles.

But I agree and liked the second part of your message!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

A real bone of contention this one, maybe time to scrap it!...

keep-calm-and-scrap-it-4.png

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A real bone of contention this one, maybe time to scrap it!...
    I couldn't agree more!

Quote by MAP View Post
    ahhh. It Jim, not James....LoL
    But you're Michael and never Mike..., how confusing.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I never knew how they got there, they just kind of showed up.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 12-04-2016 at 04:06 PM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    But you're Michael and never Mike..., how confusing.
    just throwing you curve which apparently didn't work.....which doesn't surprise me...

and yes....I'm NOT a Mike.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well, I joined this thread rather late and it seems the question has been well and truly answered by the posts from experienced members above.

For my part I have to say that I have never really paid much mind to the issue until raised in this thread (and similar previous ones) I think the fact that someone feels the need to ask in this way (rather than asking "what are they") kind of settles one aspect of itself.

The only real use I can ascribe to the "green things" is that they instantly indicate a poster who one might not recognise yet who has at least been active to some degree as opposed to someone has maybe never even read posts previously. I think I might have turned the feature off had I realised it was possible to do so and could be bothered. Seems a bit peevish to do it now though. So maybe a different way to recognise commitment and contribution would be appropriate. Any ideas?

As said above I don't believe the question was as foolish as it appeared rather it was a matter of unfortunate phrasing.

I think that the truth of the matter is that as the saying goes; "you can tell a man (or woman!) by what he has to say".

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-04-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

MAP
    ?

Whether the little green squares mean anything or not is debatable but the question from the OP is a fair one IMHO if read as I think it was actually meant. (I think it was just poorly phrased)

as my teachers have said: "it is always better to ask, than assume and thus not learn".

And while any system can be gamed for ones personal gain, I still see value to these green things. Not so much for what is visible under your avatar (pride) but for a special thanks of appreciation when a member goes above and beyond with helping out on a particular thread or just a long serving commitment to the forum with helpful advice.

Also, WRF is unique compared to many other forums. Members here go out of their way to help each other out and while long serving members know who is who and who to trust, this is not necessarily the case for newbies. While in no way is it foolproof, it is a decent tool.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast