Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

how hard is it to spot fake items

Article about: i'm new to all this i was looking on Philipp Militaria - Ankauf und Verkauf militärischer Antiquitäten and seen the section on reproductions and was thinking they look really good copies so

Default how hard is it to spot fake items

i'm new to all this
    i was looking on Philipp Militaria - Ankauf und Verkauf militärischer Antiquitäten and seen the section on reproductions and was thinking they look really good copies
    so then i was thinking, do some dealers mix in fakes with there real items for sale?
    how easy is it for a you guys (experts) to spot fakes?
    thanks

?

Default Re: how hard is it to spot fake items

I don't think anyone here would call themselves an expert, it's only easy when you know what to look for and even then, sometimes, it's not so easy. Some fakes are much easier to spot than others, some are made to decieve and you really need to look closely.
    If you're starting out in the hobby, don't get hung up on fakes and looking for fakes because you won't then know what an original looks like and everything will start looking like a fake.
    Sit down, think about what you want to collect and once you've decided what you want to buy or the area in which you want to focus, start researching original items.
    There is absolutely no benefit from studying fakes and ignoring the original items.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

yeah i am int rested in German WWII awards (my favorite is the iron cross) and SS items
    i have order this book to help me http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...ls_o02_s00_i00
    are there any good SS books out there you can recommend?
    i was all so thinking of buying this cross M & T Militaria - German Militaria, Nazi Militaria, Medals, Third Reich its £85
    dose it look good and is it at a good price
    ive asked for better pics to have a better look
    just thort i would buy something small to start my collection off

Hi totalwar,

First, welcome to the forum! In joining us here, you have made the first step in "protecting" yourself from buying fakes!

Yes, some dealers are dishonest and will sell fakes as originals. Buyer beware!

On the other hand, a lot of dealers out there are really great people. These dealers will offer inspection periods and will have a guarantee and let you return an item if you find a problem with no questions asked. With that being said, these great dealers are human and will occasionally make a mistake and be fooled by fakes, too!

Your best defense is to post pictures of items you are interested in (even from trusted dealers!) on the forum for discussion. Best case scenario, you get the thumbs up and get to show off the newest piece of your collection. Worst case scenario is that the item you want turns out to be a fake and you have to continue the search for an authentic piece... I guess the worst case scenario is still good because you'll end up saving money!

I have been heavy into this hobby for about a year... I have gotten better, but I am still very unsure of myself when it comes to a lot of things.

I've noticed that I have become a lot better with inspecting things in person. For example, the first helmet I ever saw for sale in person was a double decal SS... at the time, it looked amazing to me and I was very excited by it and INCHES away from purchasing it for like $400. I was smart enough to ask permission to snap pictures of it, and I posted it here. The members here were quick to point out that it was a BAD fake... The authentic thing about it was the steel shell itself. The paint was wrong, the decals were poor quality stickers and on the wrong sides, the liner was a post war dyed red version...

I now have a better grasp of what makes an authentic helmet authentic. You have to notice the little things like wear pattern and whether or not the condition of the decal matches the overall condition of the helmet. Believe it or not, the smell of a helmet is also pretty darn important. Fresh paint = BAD, grandma's attic = GOOD!

?

Ok, you have a start. You can build a very nice and diverse collection of German combat awards for relatively little outlay. SS items are desireable and cost alot of money and are faked widely because of this. Enter SS collecting with your eyes wide open and be prepared to have to spend alot.
    Regarding the book, Robin Lumsden's Collectors Guide to Third Reich Militaria, it is a good but very basic and quite outdated publication. I have it, it was probably the first 'guide' on the market aimed at the collector and covering most aspects. By all means get it, read it because it will give you a few pointers but please don't think of it as the 'bible' for collecting. The internet has eclipsed the book and this forum is far more informative and is constantly updated.

The cross on Malcolm's site is an original but you can find an EK2 for less money if you look around.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Plus always remember to post photos of the items you are interested in here on the forum, links will expire over time and then we have a useless thread.

Don't feel overwhelmed, just take your time and enjoy the hobby!

?

About spotting fakes you just have to give yourself time mate. I know you want to know it all right now, but it takes time. Research & Post on forum. There is a lot of different originals and fakes.

Regards, Lars