Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Humidity level display cabinet

Article about: Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing fine. I was reading some topics about the humidity levels in collection rooms and such. I know that museums try to maintain a humidity level of aroun

Dos
    ?

Default Humidity level display cabinet

Hello everyone,

I hope you all are doing fine. I was reading some topics about the humidity levels in collection rooms and such. I know that museums try to maintain a humidity level of around 40-45%. I've seen what bad storage does to a collection after looking on this subject online. My air conditioner is not always on and is an overkill for keeping the humidity down in my display cabinets. I know there are small dehumidifiers that can be placed inside cabinets to maintain the level of humidity within that area. Easily placed in a corner with something in front of it so that you don't see it, but your items stay protected. I've placed a gauge from my cigar humidor into my display cabinet and found out that the level of humidity there is around 50 to 55%. That's too high for comfort, so i want to ask if anyone uses these small dehumidifiers in their cabinets. They range from prices like 30 euros to 150 euros. Is there anyone here that can recommend one?

Any opinions or suggestions will be much appreciated, thank you

-Dos

Some examples of what i mean below:

Portable Electric Mini Air Dehumidifier Home basements Kitchen Bedroom Small Dehumidifiers Drying Moisture Absorber Low Noise Quiet Air Dryer - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Ontvochtiger Huishoudelijke Hozyaushka CS10E Slaapkamer Vochtvanger Indoor Drogen Ontvochtiging Ontvochtiger Ontvochtiger Kleine|Dehumidifiers| - AliExpress

The room I keep my stuff in routinely gets up to 75-80 percent humidity in the summer months, and I've never had problems with deterioration. Proper storage, display and handling is much more important than the conditions of the surrounding environment, though that doesn't mean you should disregard it entirely of course. Many collectors have kept their stuff in non-climate controlled rooms for decades, and it's still around today. If you're worried about humidity in your display cabinets, placing silica gel packets inside (and replacing them regularly) should mitigate any risks concerning excess moisture in the air.

You can also use chemical dehumidifiers, like these ones, to control humidity in a room: 10Pk Interior Dehumidifier Damp Dry Moisture Catcher Absorb Mould Mildew Remover 5056157990324 | eBay

Not as effective as electric ones obviously, but they have much less of an impact on your electricity bill!

Regards, B.B.

Dos
    ?

Thank you for your reply Brodie,

It also depends on what you collect and display i think. Collectors with mainly metal items have more trouble with higher humidity than ones with cloth items. I have a Dutch helmet and the brass material that connects the chinstrap has oxidized with a bright green color. I don't remember if this was there before i got it, but it made me think about this subject.

I've tried the silica gel packets for a few weeks now with an indicator for when they are fully absorbed, but the humidity did not go down. Do you think it is safe to use a chemical dehumidifier?

I always wear these when handling my items. Some may laugh now, but it has been proven that it helps preserve what we collect:

5d57a5afccc11c582e6757ef-large.jpg

Edit: Typo
    Last edited by Dos; 05-28-2021 at 10:01 PM.

If you're worried about metal objects rusting, Renaissance Wax is an excellent solution. The British Museum uses it, among others. A little of it goes a long way, and once it's dry you can hardly tell it's there. As long as you make sure there isn't already rust present, it allows you to display metal items openly without having to worry about corrosion.

I used to keep one of those dehumidifiers I linked in the bottom of my display cabinet, and as far as I know it never caused any harm. They work just as well in an open room. Once opened they only last for so long before they need to be replaced, but as they're cheap to buy in bulk that isn't really an issue. You can tell when they're used up, as all the pellets in the middle section liquefy and collect in the bottom. It's all self-contained. Just throw it away when it's done and replace it with another.

If anyone laughs at you for wearing gloves, they're the loser in the equation. It's one of the most basic precautions a collector can take, and museums have very strict 'gloves-on' policies for a reason. Some see it as a hassle, but if you care about the health of the objects you collect, it's a necessary one.

Regards, B.B.
    Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 05-29-2021 at 12:31 AM.

Dos
    ?

I have Renaissance at my disposal, but keeping something the way it is without a wax is something i would prefer more. I've only used Renaissance wax so far on zink made awards and insignia with none or starting pest on them. There are some downsides to using R wax and that is the glare it gives when photographing the item treated. Patina, tarnish loss etc..

I will try out your chemical dehumidifier to see if this helps a bit towards the climate inside my cabinet. Thanks Brodie, I think the same way about the gloves!

If anyone else has suggestions, or uses any electrical device... Please share it here!

Quote by Dos View Post
    Thank you for your reply Brodie,

It also depends on what you collect and display i think. Collectors with mainly metal items have more trouble with higher humidity than ones with cloth items. I have a Dutch helmet and the brass material that connects the chinstrap has oxidized with a bright green color. I don't remember if this was there before i got it, but it made me think about this subject.

I've tried the silica gel packets for a few weeks now with an indicator for when they are fully absorbed, but the humidity did not go down. Do you think it is safe to use a chemical dehumidifier?

I always wear these when handling my items. Some may laugh now, but it has been proven that it helps preserve what we collect:

5d57a5afccc11c582e6757ef-large.jpg

Edit: Typo
    PM sent

MAP
    ?

Probably not for everyone, but I am installing a split A/C unit for my war room that has a dehumidifier "only" mode. Haven't tested it yet as the room is still under construction but have been assured it is very effective.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dos
    ?

Thanks Map,

Yes the dehumidify option works great if you use it in one room. I’ve got a portable unit and only use it during the summer time here. Unfortunately I don’t got the luxury of having a war room and the unit is to big to have it maintain the stuff i want. I will be looking more into the small ones for cabinet use. Probably my best bet!

-Dos