Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hurricane Florence

Article about: This is a shout out to any members we might have on the east coast. Stay safe and I hope you are able to keep your collections dry.

Default Hurricane Florence

This is a shout out to any members we might have on the east coast.
    Stay safe and I hope you are able to keep your collections dry.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

I'll try, thank you, thankfully I live in the Piedmont so we are not supposed to get hit too hard.

?

Outside right now we have pine trees and they are bending a lot from the wind.

?

Thankfully, they project the brunt of Florence to go around us, at first it was supposed to hit us hard, but thankfully all we will get is a lot of rain and a decent amount of wind, I don't live near the beach but its getting battered right now.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Ethan View Post
    Thankfully, they project the brunt of Florence to go around us, at first it was supposed to hit us hard, but thankfully all we will get is a lot of rain and a decent amount of wind, I don't live near the beach but its getting battered right now.
    Having been through a few big Hurricanes and NorEasters including Sandy which was "only" a Tropical Storm by the time it made landfall, its the rain (and surge if you are near water) that is the most destructive. So even if you are on the outer edges, the rain will soak the ground, flood and then even just moderate winds will topple trees.

Our vacation house got hit by Hurricane Irene (actually by the time it was a Tropical Depression). 18 inches of rain in a few hours and narrow mountain valley's and "greenies' efforts over the years to stop people from clearing streams of overgrowth (think of clogged arteries) resulted in up to 18 feet of flooding in some areas causing some towns literally being washed away. So...don't get too complacent....

Irene 7.jpgIrene 3.jpgIrene 8.jpgirene 4.pngIrma 1.pngIrene 6.jpgIrene 2.png
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

When Hurricane Fran hit, the power was out for a long while and the schools were out for a long time...

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Our vacation house got hit by Hurricane Irene (actually by the time it was a Tropical Depression). 18 inches of rain in a few hours and narrow mountain valley's and "greenies' efforts over the years to stop people from clearing streams of overgrowth (think of clogged arteries) resulted in up to 18 feet of flooding in some areas causing some towns literally being washed away. So...don't get too complacent....

Irene 7.jpgIrene 3.jpgIrene 8.jpgirene 4.pngIrma 1.pngIrene 6.jpgIrene 2.png
    I'm really sorry about what happened to your vacation house, that area was devastated by Irene... I won't be complacent...

Reminds me of a video I've seen before, of the aftermath of the flood damage in Ellicott City, MD earlier this year. It's by the freelance filmmaker Dan Bell, most well-known for his urban exploration videos. Every car on the street looks as if it has been picked up and thrown by a giant. But in fact, all of the damage was caused by floodwater.

It is very easy to underestimate the destructive power of water, even more so if you happen to live in a place or country that does not experience flooding on a regular basis. Entire homes, even entire communities, can be swept away within hours. Mother nature is incredibly powerful, and she never lets us forget it.

Regards, B.B.

?

Latest report I just checked said that 5 have been killed by Florence... including a mother and her baby...
    Where ever you are, please pray for the dead and the injured by Hurricane Florence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast