Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Hurricane Ian and the Loss of Collectibles

Article about: Every time a natural disaster occurs not only peoples lives are at stake but collections of all types. I've seen images of the California wildfires that had wiped out life long hot rod, coll

Default Hurricane Ian and the Loss of Collectibles

Every time a natural disaster occurs not only peoples lives are at stake but collections of all types. I've seen images of the California wildfires that had wiped out life long hot rod, collectible cars and motorcycle collections that are depressing to say the least.

As collectors of militaria we do not get to see what the losses are but only hear of it months or years later.

Insurance helps but does not replace artifacts or machines, some one off things. & some that not many were produced to begin with.

I hope those in the collector realm that were in the path of Ian were fortunate to not only save their lives but their collections too.

I know of 2 dealers in Florida close to the path of Ian. Although they are on the outer bands of the hurricane, damage can still happen. Hope they did ok with no losses. Collectors in that area?

Who knows unless a close friend, hope they came through unscathed.

One more element that contributes to reducing available items at some point, that can never be replaced. Lives are more important but gee, how terrible this last event is.

That is indeed very depressing, you are absolutely right!

As bad as the hurricane has been, it is worse if there are floods/fires associated with it. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.

It is a sad thing and it does happen.
    I received an email just a couple hours ago from someone in Fla. who
    said that the water in the street in front of their house is 4 ft deep and still raising.
    If they decide to leave, they will have to call to be rescued by boat.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hard to like any of these posts.

Since I am on Oahu, I've been through the drill a few times.

The last time I boarded up every window in the house. 1,200.00+ $ on plywood & screws.

Bought a Honda generator, 1,500.00+ for that, then the excess supplies which of course can be used afterwards. Had plans to move my collection into my van but at further though there is no where to go, I am on an island!

After seeing the devastation in the path of these cat 3,4,5 hurricanes you need a solid 6" concrete home with stainless roll up garage door type enclosures for the windows. Then to have the structure elevated to at least 15' above the mean water line if close to the ocean.

We are at 310' elevation says my parachutist altimeter so wind would take the roof off at sustained winds above 120 mph. Even hurricane clips raise that to 145 mph and gusts can be at 200 mph. FEEMA recommends minimum 3/4" plywood as 5/8" is easily penetrated by wind driven debris.

The last hit on Kauai, hurricane Inikki in 92 0r 93, a wind gauge at Kokee state park broke at 210 mph. The park is on the west side of the island at about 800' elevation.

I realized no matter what I did in preparation, high sustained winds wins. It was frustrating and maddening at the same time.

When the hurricane that was predicted to come up all islands on the south side did not materialize it was a major relief. Just going through that is a major hit on the mind as the question remains, will we get hit in the future?

I worked decades ago at Ft, Meyers beach, Estero bay laying power line for Florida Light & Power. There, no one can escape damage, all you can do is leave. My wife has an associate whose home is on Sanibel island. She escaped with 3 days worth of clothes and her computer. She left a message saying "the bridge is wiped out. We can't get back to see if anything is salvageable & by the time the bridge is rebuilt mold will have destroyed everything".

SS Steel, Kelly Hicks was supposed to do his web page update. It has not at this time been updated. He lives on the east side of Tampa.

CBH
    ?

Interesting thread, we where hit by hurricane Fiona two weeks ago now. We lost power for 6 days but luckily we didn’t have any real damage to the house. Fiona was a Category 2 when it made landfall very close to me, I thought the back door was going to blow in, so I fortified it best I could. As the storm approached I ran around gathering up some of my collection and stored it in a large steel shipping container as I was worried the roof might blow off. It was the worst hurricane I’ve ever been through and this is my third. There are still thousands without power in Nova Scotia and PEI, Newfoundland had homes washed into the sea. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
    But I’d like to thank the many Power Crews from around the country and many US companies that have come to help reconnect the power, literally thousands of people have come to the east coast to help.
    And their help is greatly appreciated. Hoping everyone in Ian’s path is safe.

We live in Bokeelia on Pine island , but fortunately on the highest part so we did not get the storm surge. No injuries to the family and very minor damage to the house. It was very sad to see that some died and others lost everything. It was good to see all neighbors working together to clear trees from the roads and make repairs. Charitable organizations and individuals from all over came here to help. When a local construction company (Honc) got the bureaucratic bs when trying to get a permit to repair the road through Matlacha, Honc said he would repair the road without a permit, at his own expense. The following day Governor DeSantis personally ordered FDOT to cooperate with Honc. Sometimes a disaster like this brings out the good in people.