Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have something intriguing and infuriating in equal measure.....

Article about: Firstly I'm not sure where this really belongs but here seemed a safe bet. I have here a very old letter, dated 25/2/92, I am guessing 1892 rather than any earlier. All I knew was that it wa

Default Re: I have something intriguing and infuriating in equal measure.....

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys! I'm glad I posted this now, I nearly didn't because it's not militaria

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Fascinating project you have

Is Murphy the relative of yours or don't you know? If it was mine, I would start by tracing my family tree back to that period, through Ancestry or something similar. If you can either find one of the names, or a seaman from the period it would probably be a lot easier to work on the ship. I find its always a good idea in research to try to find something concrete to latch on to, as what you have has a lot of loose ends

Just my advice

Rob
    Rob, I was speaking to my Granddad last night and it is Patrick Murphy that is the relation, he turns out to be my great great uncle or something along those lines. My aunt apparently has a family tree showing him so I will try and get a copy of that. As far as we know it was not a Royal Navy ship but a merchant vessel of some sort, and he was buried at sea, probably at the coordinates on the letter. Info is very sketchy though so I'd like to fill the gaps, I hope there is something out there about it.

Don't know if this helps, but The Lamport & Holt Shipping Line owned a subsidury called 'The Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Navigation Co.' at the time of your ancestors demise; they used to carry the mail, timber and beef amongst other goods and passengers too. Here's a list of all their vessels, perhaps a start for your investigations?

Lamport and Holt Line

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very cool Ned, I will be sure to search in there cheers mate

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2