Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

i need help identifying the country of a pair wwII wool paratrooper pants from 1941

Article about: hello all- i'm new to this website and hope someone out there can help me identify the issuing country for a pair of 1941 heavy wool military paratrooper style pants. inside waistband is sta

Default i need help identifying the country of a pair wwII wool paratrooper pants from 1941

hello all-
    i'm new to this website and hope someone out there can help me identify the issuing country for a pair of 1941 heavy wool military paratrooper style pants. inside waistband is stamped with 1941 96U and a crown. (not 3 crowns, just one). my best guess is british but i can't find anything else like it on the internet. i uploaded a photo to this message but in case it doesn't work. here is a link to the image:

WwII Wool Uniform Pants by desertrat00 | Photobucket

i would appreciate any information you can offer.
    THANK YOU!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like they are Swedish or Danish to me.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

thanks ned. i was under the impression that the swedish military used the tre kronor (3 crown) symbol on their uniforms (attachment below). did they also use the single crown? did the british military every make the heavy wool paratrooper pants for their military? the reason i ask is that the crown looks like the british royal crown on a lot of military pins that i've seen on the internet.
    thanks again for your help

tre kronor.jpgtre kronor.jpg

The trousers are without a doubt Swedish.
    Pre WWII and during the war, a lot of the Swedish equipment was marked with a single, closed crown.
    The overall appearance is Swedish - sizing (96U), crown, pewter buttons and the font used for the stamp.

I should know, as I collect Swedish equipment too.
    They are most likely a pair of M/39 trousers, but with the added post war pockets
    and with the anklets permanently attached at the bottom.

They are unfortunately not paratrooper trousers.

thanks 37webbing- that information is very helpful.
    i'm attaching a few more photos of the pants. i had mistakenly assumed them to be paratrooper pants. the leather straps at the bottom are not detachable. what would these have been used for if they are not paratrooper pants?
    thanks again for everybody's help with this. it is definitely saving me a lot of time searching on the internet

Quote by jc vintage View Post
    thanks 37webbing- that information is very helpful.
    i'm attaching a few more photos of the pants. i had mistakenly assumed them to be paratrooper pants. the leather straps at the bottom are not detachable. what would these have been used for if they are not paratrooper pants?
    thanks again for everybody's help with this. it is definitely saving me a lot of time searching on the internet

They are standard infantry issue - post 1958.
    Most likely issued as part of the winter equipment, since the Swedish army adopted a cotton uniform that year.
    The straps at the bottom and the pockets were added in the 1950s.
    Nothing special - but they are really well made wool trousers, that would cost a fortune if bought from new.

i'm confused about the 1941 date and the older style, single closed crown stamped on the inside of the waistband- if you think this is a style that was made post 1958?

Quote by jc vintage View Post
    i'm confused about the 1941 date and the older style, single closed crown stamped on the inside of the waistband- if you think this is a style that was made post 1958?
    The trouser are made in 1941, the thigh pockets are added later - After 1958.
    The attached anklets are added after 1958 as well.

thanks for all your help!