Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Identification marking

Article about: I'm used to seeing an abbreviated name, sometimes the full name and 4 digits of the Service No (eg Hempston 6754) marked in "modern" Brit helmets or clothing...is this done in othe

Default Identification marking

I'm used to seeing an abbreviated name, sometimes the full name and 4 digits of the Service No (eg Hempston 6754) marked in "modern" Brit helmets or clothing...is this done in other countries? I recently found such a mark in a US piece of camo.......

Yes US military does this too but I think for the most part it’s on the individual or unit for the most part of how (or even if) they mark their stuff. Gear is usually marked in a way that I can be removed. For example tape, some sort of tag or Velcro markings.
    I know the Marine Corps is very specific on how every single uniform item is to be marked and where the marking is to be placed. But for the Marine Corps uniform markings are just first and middle initials and last name. Marking of gear is unit directed.

Interesting - thank you. Brit markings, especially in Helmets, seems to be done by REALLY Permanent Marker...so much so that it's often "removed" by colouring it over with the same pen that wrote it! And all used MTP-camo clothing has a name and/or shortened number under pocket flaps or down the inside or across the label....EVERYWHERE!

Perhaps now that our own Royal Marines are going to start using a Crye-patterned uniform rather than MTP they'll change???