Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Items in your collection that creep you out

Article about: I thought I might try this topic as an offshoot of the "militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection" thread. There were a few things there that people w

Default Items in your collection that creep you out

I thought I might try this topic as an offshoot of the "militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection" thread. There were a few things there that people wouldn't collect because it gave them a bad feeling. For many this was KZ items, but also items relating to death such as death cards, bloody items etc.

So as the opposite to this, I was wondering if anyone else has items that they have collected, but still genuinely gives them 'the creeps' (for want of a better term), makes them feel uncomfortable, always gives them some kind of strong poignant emotion or just gives them a sense of terrible awe. Alternatively is there an item you passed on for the same reason?

I mentioned two in the other thread that I have, which I will repeat here to start this off:

1. A WWI British Army infantry officer's whistle. I know who it belonged to, and I know it was likely used to send men 'over the top', and the thought of that coupled with the eerie sound it makes gives me the wigs.

2. I have a page from another WWI British officer's message pad, which has a short note written to the mother of a Private in his regiment, explaining that her son went over the top on a certain day and hasn't been seen since (and presumably was never was seen again as he's listed as killed).

I would add a third, my Vickers MG. This would fall into the awe category, as its early manufacture date (c1915) suggests it was almost certainly used in anger, and you have to wonder just how many young German men it might have 'accounted for'. I suppose any weapon can have the same aura about it, but the Vickers has a 'Grim Reaper' image I can't avoid in my mind.

I will add some pictures of these things later. Anyone have anything?

Rob

?

Default Re: Items in your collection that creep you out

Hmm... very good question. I actually find items like this very desirable as I find the terrible history part of the fascination. For me, I haven't been collecting an incredibly long time so I haven't come across much; I suppose the only thing which springs to mind is my SS cap skull. I don't know anything about it, it was a British vet bring back but I still wonder what history it's seen.

Robbie

I once had som pictures of some dead bodies from a KZ camp, thay were creepy .

?

Oh good point, I have a picture of a hanged partisan, I find that pretty creepy.

Robbie

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    I thought I might try this topic as an offshoot of the "militaria items you don't fancy and would never have in your collection" thread. There were a few things there that people wouldn't collect because it gave them a bad feeling. For many this was KZ items, but also items relating to death such as death cards, bloody items etc.

So as the opposite to this, I was wondering if anyone else has items that they have collected, but still genuinely gives them 'the creeps' (for want of a better term), makes them feel uncomfortable, always gives them some kind of strong poignant emotion or just gives them a sense of terrible awe. Alternatively is there an item you passed on for the same reason?

I mentioned two in the other thread that I have, which I will repeat here to start this off:

1. A WWI British Army infantry officer's whistle. I know who it belonged to, and I know it was likely used to send men 'over the top', and the thought of that coupled with the eerie sound it makes gives me the wigs.

2. I have a page from another WWI British officer's message pad, which has a short note written to the mother of a Private in his regiment, explaining that her son went over the top on a certain day and hasn't been seen since (and presumably was never was seen again as he's listed as killed).

I would add a third, my Vickers MG. This would fall into the awe category, as its early manufacture date (c1915) suggests it was almost certainly used in anger, and you have to wonder just how many young German men it might have 'accounted for'. I suppose any weapon can have the same aura about it, but the Vickers has a 'Grim Reaper' image I can't avoid in my mind.

I will add some pictures of these things later. Anyone have anything?

Rob
    I was once offered a Jap skull!!!! Apparently Jap skulls were popular souvenirs amongst US sailors and soldiers in WW2 such was the hatred for the cruelty and barbarism of the Japanese. Heads would be lopped off, the skulls boiled to remove the flesh and then theyd be sent home to wives and girlfriends. Id have bought it but and i say but the asking price of £550 was a tad too much for me at the time and could never have justified spending that much on such an obscure relic at the time. Plus the now ex-wife said she would never allow it in HER house lol!!! I cant say i have much that creeps me out and i do have items such as an Iraqi soldiers diary found on a body, plus periscope taken from Iraqi vehicle-the inner viewing glass is deeply cracked indicating a violent explosion within and id certainly not have wanted to have been in that one!!! I also have a few aircraft relics where the pilots were killed-and with these yes i have experienced a few strange things-once at 3.30am the exact time this pilot was killed!! After the ex-wife got me to get out of bed three times to see what this mysterious noise was out on landing i got up went out and said " Ok mate i know youre here but i really do have to sleep now as work in the morning" at that no more trouble lol! Strange but true and i love this hobby for those very reasons. Regards, Tim.