MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Location info - I'm intrigued......

Article about: Here’s a question….why do members NOT disclose their “Location” as part of their profile? I don’t mean “34 High Street, Little Town, Hampsville…..I’m away from home between 9-5 and the Alarm

Default Member Location info - I'm intrigued......

Here’s a question….why do members NOT disclose their “Location” as part of their profile? I don’t mean “34 High Street, Little Town, Hampsville…..I’m away from home between 9-5 and the Alarm is usually switched off…and the dog’s deaf…with no teeth..the house with the big bushes obscuring the doors and no fence at the back, opening to unlit public land” kinda way…..I mean a COUNTRY would be sufficient.

Of course, there’s all the usually hilarious examples “galaxy far far away”…and “somewhere”…”best country” etc…which makes the member seem fun and mysterious (NOT) but actually, knowing ones Country is really quite helpful when thinking about responding to issues around weaponry (what’s legal in one country may not be elsewhere), symbols (display in some countries is a no-no) and perhaps more helpfully, postage costs. As a for-instance….I recently saw a post from a non-locationed member requesting advice re buying a particular item for under $50…..’no idea if $US, $Can, $Aus, $Sing etc……postage alone to those countries from the UK for that particular item is c£40…do the math……

‘last time I checked the internet there were c127,000,000 homes in the US…37,000,000 in France….2,300,000 in Norway and 28,000,000 in UK…..I doubt anyone’s gonna pull on their striped pull-over, their Lone Ranger Mask and grab their “swag bag” and start knocking!

…and if they’re REAL friends they’ll know where you are and what you’ve got anyway!

..or is it a Tax thing?.....

Good point well made mate. I had mine as 'NeverYouMind' but when you put it as you have done, it is really helpful to have at least a country in your profile.

Kindest regards
    Harvey

I like the idea of having a general location like a state or province
    as well as age. It kind of helps get an understanding of who you are
    talking to. I might answer a question differently if I know that who I'm
    talking to is a 14 year old kid from the UK or a 65 year old from Cincinnati.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

I'm paranoid about having my collection stolen. No better place to find out where the goods are than a forum like this regardless of the odds.

I agree with Aldo at most a regional location would be sufficient.
    IP addresses are never exact and for a purpose posted that way.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I agree. Me too. But having people know that I am from Wisconsin does not make
    me loose and sleep.
    gregM

myself around.

You're in your 60s Greg, you won't sleep anyway

Quote by jamie7d7 View Post
    You're in your 60s Greg, you won't sleep anyway
    So true
    gregM

myself around.

I think everyone would agree with you.....but “US”, “Netherlands”, “UK” is usually enough to help members without being overly overt about precisely where. But posting “here’s my collection” always strikes me as unwise.

And it’s an interesting point re understanding “what” you’re talking to (age profile).....I’m not sure the age of posters is something I’ve looked at other than in disappointment when I question ignorance/rudeness/bullying/selfishness..on the basis that when one gets to a certain age you’d’ve liked to have thought those traits would have been lost. I still wish “we” could adopt a common approach to time wasters who think this is Facebook...but for as long as members feed that fire it’ll continue to burn.....but that’s another issue.

?

In some European countries, items that are legal today could be forbidden tomorrow. No need to attract the "Authorities" on your belongings.
    "Bayonets" could be a next step? Or Third Reich items?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast