Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Militaria in Berlin

Article about: Hello Great War experts, I am travelling to Berlin in early September and am wondering if any more travelled members could recommend stores, flea-markets, or individuals that might possibly

Default Militaria in Berlin

Hello Great War experts,

I am travelling to Berlin in early September and am wondering if any more travelled members could recommend stores, flea-markets, or individuals that might possibly deal in anything pertaining to WWI, or even the broader Kaiserreich era? My German is rudimentary and most internet queries result in subjects pertaining to WWII, or the Cold War. "Army Trendy Surplus" is only military themed store I have found - miles from what I'm looking for.

I will be also in Prague CZ, so I don't know if chances will be better there.

Thanks for any/all input.

Hello badfinger! Every Saturday morning there is a market near the Charlottenbuger Tor. If you stand under the Tor itself and look towards the Siegessaule, it's about 100 metres away on your left. You can't miss it. It's a flea market so there's a bit of everything but there is always WW1 stuff and earlier, you just need to root around. Be warned, most of the stallholders do not like being photographed.

I visited Berlin with my wife in 2004. Walking through the Sieges Alle I found this flea market. I perfectly remember seeing in one of the market stalls a large ordensspange with Saxon and imperial decorations, another double with the EK2 1914 and the Kaiser Wilhelm I Centenary Medal and others. I remember it like it was yesterday, unfortunately I couldn't get away from my wife and buy them secretly.

You know, military collecting and marriage... sometimes it has certain complications.

Regards
    Santi

Some great suggestions and stories. I will continue digging. Until then, anyone is of course welcome to chime-in.

I will try to keep this thread updated on any finds of interest for further reference.

Prosit!