Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Military History

Article about: Hi When I am older I would love to be a military historian and I was wondering what qualifications would I need to do this. I would aim to get a degree or even a PhD but do I need any other

Default Military History

Hi

When I am older I would love to be a military historian and I was wondering what qualifications would I need to do this. I would aim to get a degree or even a PhD but do I need any other qualifications? I would probably base my work around World War One.

Many Thanks

Cameron

Default Re: Military History

Read and research alot in your field of study that interests you the most,, back up your findings with fact and photographic proof. Being a historian is a life long endearment that has its rewards physically, monetary and most of all Satisfaction!! Do this because you are moved to do it,,or else all your work would be done in vain. Your off to a good start!! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

read,research,study and go to the battlefields. good luck its a vast field to enter.

Knowledge is power, so the more well read the better. But don't kill yourself reading military tomes, as this could have the adverse effect. Especially as some of whats out there has strong bias by the author. Enjoy reading for the pleasure, your quite young so enjoy all sorts of books, literature, comedy, history. If you haven't read spike milligans books on his war, i highly recommend, as they are funny but give an insight into one soldiers war. To be an academic historian means B.A., M.A. And PhD. Which is a long old drag, so your interest could change. You may be into WW1, but later have an interest in the Picts, Romans or how warfare is fundamental to the future of....?

Hi

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

I really appreciate it.

Cameron

I'm at a University right now studying history. The best advice I can give is to work your butt off in every subject in school. This is important for two reasons: 1) That's what it takes to get into a good college. 2) history involves every subject (science, health, language, politics, literature, etc). Also, always practice your reading, writing, and communicating. Read as much as possible. I try to read at least one book a week, between 300-400 pages, while at the same time reading my textbooks for school. Sometimes after I read a book I will write a good summary of the book or maybe a book review to post online. Another good idea is to take as many speech classes in high school as you can. These will help your communication skills, which are beyond important for a historian to master. The fact that you are on this forum at such a young age, seeking advice and learning your subject, sets you far ahead of most teenagers. As long as you stay committed to want you want to accomplish then it will happen.

regards,
    Corey

You should, no doubt, also have a good deal of college credits in Literature, Several branches of History, Sociology, and a whole spectrum of such things as Economics, etc. It is always amazing at the number of subjects a person needs to be proficient in to be an professional expert on Any subject. As Corey said, read...read...and then read some More.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi

Thanks once again guys!

I will take all of the information on board that you have given me.

Cheers

Cameron

It's a different system in the UK regarding university degree courses. You can't generally go for multiple choices, there are modules within the course, i.e. Archaeology degree, modules in romans, neolithic etc. Depending on lecturer's expertise. So the right university of choice is important for specific degrees. Therefore war studies as a political and theoretical choice would point toowards kings college london. WW1 / WW2 history and birmingham has gary sheffield as a lecturer. Battlefield archaeology and glasgow under tony pollard is the place to go. This is obvious a very general overview. And by the time bonzaicam goes to university, he might be into surfing and bimbo's