Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

"The more you know, the better you know how little you know."

Article about: Hello I was wondering if this very informative and distinguish forum and its very knowable member’s opinions works little like certificate of authenticity. If someone acts “mala fide” and ge

?

Default "The more you know, the better you know how little you know."

Hello
    I was wondering if this very informative and distinguish forum and its very knowable member’s opinions works little like certificate of authenticity. If someone acts “mala fide” and gets negative feedback, he or she doesn’t have to refer to forum and its member’s opinions (and maybe produce better forgery next time). If he gets approval, he/she can refer to expert's opinions in this forum.

If he/she acts “bona fide”, he or she takes a risk being drop to the ground. And then is up to individual coincident to choose what do to afterword.

Anyway, forum is very interesting and I myself respect member’s integrity and courage to express their opinions, although it can’t be always easy.

Default Re: "The more you know, the better you know how little you know."

Well, I think I understand what you are saying, so I'll take a shot. First, a quick word on actual certificates of authenticity - I have no use for them whatsoever, and they are worthless to me.

As far as trusting another persons opinion as the sole determining factor for a purchase without your own research and understanding of what you are buying, well, that is foolish in my opinion. Personally, I make it a point to research and study everything I can when considering an item in which my knowledge is weak. If after I have expended every avenue of study and I still am not comfortable, I will then contact someone who I know has a lot of experience in that area to fill in the gaps and questions on the item. If after this, I personally am still not convinced - then I have no business buying the item.

If I were to purchase an item after taking this approach, and it was later confirmed to be a bad example, I would blame no one but myself. I do not look at anyone's opinion on any item as a "guarantee", and would not talk negatively to or about the person I had consulted if the item was later proved no good.

I have seen many items for sale with "lifetime" guarantees of authenticity, that I wasn't personally comfortable with so I did not purchase the item. I find more and more in this collecting field, that there is a growing number of "collectors" that don't care to research anything and rely solely on the opinion of another before laying down the cash (or even worse, buying blind and then asking if it is good). If they find out later that the item they bought is not a good example, then they tend to blame that person with no sense of responsibility for their own negligence in research.

In short, this forum. like others is full of both rock solid facts, and some opinions which are based on prior experience and observed items over the years. When someone gives their opinion, I am grateful and do not look at their words as an obligation or a basis on which I have the right to come back later and criticize them for. I hope that I have understood your question accurately, if not, I'll get some other opinions on the matter...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

If on the orther hand you like what you see you will buy it.

Steve's approach is just what I would recommend

Cheers, Ade.

If on the other hand to sound off on a cynical note, on another forum, I am firmly of the opinion that certain members rubbish an article or the vendor so as to put potential buyers off and give themselves a better chance of winning the piece that is up for sale.

I agree with the above post, homework is the be all and end all of any collecting. Refrence books, respected collectors to consult, members on here. Get as much info as you can and then its up to you to go with your instincts. John.

Hi,
    I agree with Steve on this also, there is no point moaning about
    an item your have bought that is one year old expecting it to be seventy years old. If you dont know go to the man who does !,
    before you even buy it. This forum is a mine of information,
    if you cant get the answer here you wont get it anywhere.
    dave.

VERY WELL SPOKEN STEVEN !! There is nothing left to say on this one!! You said it all !!

Bravo Steve, well said.

rgds, Tyrone