Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The One (or more) That Got Away.

Article about: I figured that because I really do enjoy hearing people's stories, unless they are complete BS, some interesting stories could be shared around this topic. In they time you have been collect

Default The One (or more) That Got Away.

I figured that because I really do enjoy hearing people's stories and I suspect that some interesting stories could be shared around this topic, it would make a good thread.

In the time you have been collecting, what pieces slipped through your fingers? Not just ones that you maybe had to sell or trade, but ones you really wanted that when you went to buy them, alas, you had been bested by someone faster.

The second scenario is almost constant in this digital morass. If you don't act quickly in many cases, you are too late.

What about your experiences?
    Please, share away!
    Last edited by carpediem; 05-18-2018 at 02:37 AM.

MAP
    ?

First scenario: swapped a non matching G33 for a salty DD Luft M35. Regretted it before it even left my house. Early years of collecting. Rookie mistake.

Second scenario: An early excellent condition Luft Pilot/Observer badge. Thought too long and poof... it was gone. Only a few months ago. Otherwise...have never ever missed a buy I really cared about.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    swapped a non matching G33 for a salty DD Luft M35.

Ha ha! And that guy RAN to his car!

CBH
    ?

Started working at a local antique in High School and the owner had just sold this group (Photo) cheaply, he would often say he thought about keep one of each because of the multiplies ! This still haunts me and the funny thing is I was talking to guy who purchased it tonight at a local military museum I volunteer at, I almost brought up this group buts its been 30 years.

Also traded a Water Protection Police Daggers for an SA Dagger and an HJ armband when I was a young collector, but that guys dead now. I've been meaning to piss on his grave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MAP
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Started working at a local antique in High School and the owner had just sold this group (Photo) cheaply, he would often say he thought about keep one of each because of the multiplies ! This still haunts me and the funny thing is I was talking to guy who purchased it tonight at a local military museum I volunteer at, I almost brought up this group buts its been 30 years.

Also traded a Water Protection Police Daggers for an SA Dagger and an HJ armband when I was a young collector, but that guys dead now. I've been meaning to piss on his grave.
    I'd be having nightmares for missing that one!!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by CBH View Post

I would regret not buying that too. Wow, the Water Protection Police daggers have to be worth more than an SA Dagger and HJ armband! He got a good deal!

30 years ago, I was at a gun show and was offered a chrome plated Fairbairn-Sykes
    style dagger for $125. Like I said, it was chrome plated and was marked "Japan Sword".
    I told the guy that I was not interested in fakes. So some time later, I discovered that this
    was a US Special Forces presentation dagger given to SF troopers after completing their tour
    of duty in VN. -- Now, nice ones cost about 10 times that amount and I still don't have one.

I was young and dumb.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

My other big regret was missing an original 1813 iron cross 1st class.
    I found an original 1813 Ek1 and Ek2 on ebay. (yes, Ebay) It was a group
    that contained both crosses and a fancy silver coat of arms device all belonging
    to the same man. I was lacking funds so the seller agreed to split the set and
    sell me just The Ek2. With only 638 officially awarded, it is one of the holy grails
    of iron crosses. I could have bought the entire group then for just what the Ek2 demands now.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    My other big regret was missing an original 1813 iron cross 1st class.
    I found an original 1813 Ek1 and Ek2 on ebay. (yes, Ebay) It was a group
    that contained both crosses and a fancy silver coat of arms device all belonging
    to the same man. I was lacking funds so the seller agreed to split the set and
    sell me just The Ek2. With only 638 officially awarded, it is one of the holy grails
    of iron crosses. I could have bought the entire group then for just what the Ek2 demands now.
    It is tough when the item is right there and your bank account doesn't cooperate!

CBH
    ?

Wow, the Water Protection Police daggers have to be worth more than an SA Dagger and HJ armband! He got a good deal

Yes indeed, it was't that he got a good deal, it was me getting screwed !
    I was High School kid and he was a Vet, no honour among Thieves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast