Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Article about: by Spitace41 Looks like he was in the Home Guard? Indeed and must be before he joined the navy. Great pic and a great family history you have (Col) James.

Default re: Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

My father in-law and I on his last trip to Bad Ems, Germany where he was released from the service there in late 1945. He is pointing at the hill where he was stationed at.
    keith1.jpgkeith2.jpgkeith 005.jpgkeith 004.jpgkeith 008.jpgkeith 009.jpgkeith 007.jpgkeith 001.jpgkeith 003.jpgkeith 002.jpg

My Dad was in the Korean war but all Pics was lost in the Tornado May 22, 2011

Great Thread

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

keith3.jpgI think he has his ribbon bar on in this pic. But he was not much to talk about his time served or care to bring much back other than some civil binoculars.
    I have known him since I was 8 years old when he came to our church and became friends with my folks and brought a little girl with him that was later my wife.
    If you do the math he was in his 40s when my wife came into world.
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Hi Wim, thanks for starting this thread. Much appreciated. I have moved the two posts from the previous thread to here. (So it now looks like Andreas started the thread...)

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hope no one minds that three of these guys are not close relatives, but their service is important to me nevertheless. First up are a couple of photos of my Grandad who served in RAF Coastal Command (235 Squadron) as a mechanic and was sent to Burma. Both of these photos were taken in Egypt in 1945 (presumably on the way back). Unfortunately he passed away when I was 8 so i never got a chance to ask about his service.

Next show photos of two Great Uncles and my Great Grandfather in WW1. Top left is Bert (Great Grandfather) who served in the RN on HMS Undaunted and HMS Coventry. Top right is Fred who was a member of 13th Essex Regiment and was a POW in Germany. In the middle of the bottom photo is George who was in the RAMC and was wounded on the Somme (I still have the piece of shrapnel that wounded him).

- - Updated - -

Sorry looks like pics came out in wrong order
    Attached Images Attached Images

No problem at all Ade. This thread has been created for all of us to give some insight.
    It doesn't matter who started it.
    But.......... come on guys, show us more relatives in uniform. So, open your shoe-boxes
    and drawers, have a look in the attic or where ever!

For those interested (and statistics): here a map from the cemetary where my grandfather
    was first burried in June 1916.........

img586 - kopie.jpg

Grave 113 was his grave (at left with pencil-writing). My grandfather was born July 31, 1881.
    His father, also named Wilhelm Schenk (II), was born February 2, 1836 (whose father also was
    named Wilhelm, born January 1, 1804). My grandmother - who was a Dutch maiden working
    in Germany when she met my grandfather - told my mother that Wilhelm Schenk (II) did fight
    during the Deutsch-Französischer Krieg (1870/71).
    Pitily I could not find 100% evidence for that. There are no photographs from him. Not even known
    if there ever were. Hardly!!
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 07-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Is this all you can offer my friends?
    Didn't your grandfathers or fathers serve in any army??
    There are over 2,500 active members...
    So much members, so few reactions (not even 10)!!

I would post more photos (My Grandfather on my Mother's side has some fantastic pictures of his uncle who was a Mosquito pilot) but those are all I have on me I'm sure others will pipe up

This is my dad, pictures from 1991-1995. He had a Beretta M34 in the war. It has seen 2 wars for now, lots of history on that gun.
    IMG_0005.jpgIMG_0007.jpgIMG_0009.jpgIMG_0010.jpgIMG_0013.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0023.jpgIMG_0025.jpg

This is him in military training, 1979. You can see that they were still using some "old russians".
    IMG_0015.jpg

jwp
    ?

here is a link to my grandfather's ww1 service and if you click the text highlight in that will take you to my dad's ww2 service !,
    regards, john.

thosewhosurvived

I have shown pictures of my Dad from his service in WWII and also his medals and service records, but always glad to show them again. He served with the 53rd Welsh Division from 1936 to late 1941 in Div signals then was sent overseas in late 41 to the far east but was diverted to the middle east and saw service in N Africa and Italy. He was TA and stayed in service until the 50's.

Hi dad, my grandfather served with the Northants regiment during WWI and saw action on the Somme, whilst my mothers dad served in WWII as a civilian firefighter on a RAF base and was awarded the George medal.

The pics are of my Dad in the desert during WWII.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast