Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25

Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Article about: by Spitace41 Looks like he was in the Home Guard? Indeed and must be before he joined the navy. Great pic and a great family history you have (Col) James.

Default Grandfather

My Grandfather Frank Davis Grist Co. A 2nd. Machine Gun. Bn. First Infantry Division The Big Red 1. Wounded in France. FRANK D. GRIST WWI.jpg
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

HMS_Tynedale.jpg40465_291223-00055.jpg
    More research on my family tree led me to Alfred Hankey, Alfred is my 2nd cousin once removed, not a very close relative but I'm proud to be related. He was serving on HMS Tynedale as a stoker 2nd class, he was killed on 12/12/1942 when Tynedale Was torpedoed off Jijel Algeria by U-593, 70 crewmen died (seven officers and 63 men). Alfred was only 18 and was married a few months before his death.

Another relative of mine William Burrows, he was born here in Warrington in 1886. William, his Parents and his 8 siblings emigrated to the USA in 1905 and they settled in Chicago. Some time after WW1 started William went up to Canada and joined the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles (British Columbia Regt.). He died 16/04/1917 And was buried at St James's cemetery Dover. At the time of his death the regiment was in the Villers Au Bois area of France. I'm guessing because he was buried in England he had been injured at an earlier date, then moved to a hospital in the Dover area?
    William Burrows - The Canadian Virtual War Memorial - Veterans Affairs Canada

Another relative who died serving his country, George Cotton Born 1896 Eccleshall Staffordshire. Died of wounds 13/10/1918, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire) Regiment. Place of death France and Flanders.

James Edwin Riley.jpg
    My first cousin twice removed James Edwin Riley.
    Name: James Edwin Riley
    Birth Place: Marston, Cheshire
    Death Date: 20 Dec 1917
    Death Place: France and Flanders
    Enlistment Place: Northwich, Cheshire
    Regiment: Cheshire Regiment
    Battalion: 9th Battalion
    Regimental Number: 17643
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
    Burial Place: Ribecourt-la-Tour Departement du Nord Nord-Pas-de-Calais France

?

Hi,
    My dad as a SubLt in the Belgian fieldartillery (Germany 1948). He retired as LtCol.

image2.jpg

image0.jpg

Me in Kuweit (1994) with a representative of the Kuweiti Prisoners Association.

Kuweit 1.jpg

P1010240.jpg

P1010239.jpg

?

My grandfather in military service just after the War. He probably already had a lot of experience due to his time in the armed resistance.

Sorry for the poor quality i had to take them with my smartphone because my dad had put them in a Photo album. If i had taken them out it would have damaged the pictures.

IMG_20201230_092432.jpgIMG_20201230_092441.jpg

Default Parents and uncles in WW2 nd WW1

My father was in the ETO and my mother in Aberdeen, MD.
    dad.jpgmom.jpg
    My father's two brothers were also in the Army during WW2. The photo below shows one of them, Uncle Walter, on the right. His cousin Walter is on the left, and cousin Walter's wife is in the middle. The photo was taken in 1972 when Uncle Walt visited Germany for the Olympics. He visited our family's ancestral village, and discovered that he had a cousin who had the same name as his. They were both the same age, and both were infantry lieutenants in WW2, but fought on opposite sides.
    twowalter.jpg
    Neither of my grandfathers were in the military, but each had a brother who served during WW!. The first photo is my paternal Uncle Joe who served in France. The second was taken about 1930. My maternal Uncle Levi, on the right, served in the Navy during WW1. Uncle Butler, in the middle, was in the Navy between the wars. Aunt Grace is wearing a sailor suit, but is the only one of the three who was not in the Navy.
    unclejoe.jpgnavy.jpg

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25