Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pens taken from Goebbels' desk

Article about: G'day all, I unintentially took over Patricks thread on his search for Goebbels related items last night (clicked on the recent posts thingo in the top left corner and thought it was a discu

Default Pens taken from Goebbels' desk

G'day all,
    I unintentially took over Patricks thread on his search for Goebbels related items last night (clicked on the recent posts thingo in the top left corner and thought it was a discussion) so I thought I'd better do things properly.
    Several years ago I was a lot more impulsive and silly....er...well impulsive anyway and I bought something that I would probably think twice about today and would definately run by you guys first. It was a small silver ended pencil, a bakelite loaded pencil and two pen nibs allegedly taken from Geobbels' desk in the propaganda ministry in Berlin in 1945. I bought these from an English bloke here in Perth who said that he had been given them as a souvenir from Wilfred Von Oven, Goebbels' adjutant. The bloke here litterally had a stack of letters from Von Oven which he showed me and said that he had been corresponding with him for many years. He reckoned that Von Oven had taken the pencils along with other items and had held them since the the end of the war. He swore black and blue that these things were fair dinkum and that Von Oven had become a mate of his over the years and that they had been planning for Von Oven to stay with him and his wife and have a holiday here in Western Australia.
    How much, if any, of this is true I don't know. What I do know is that he gave me one of the letters with it's envelope sent by Von Oven to him which seems to confirm some of what he said. The pen nibs are marked: DRGM 542EF D.LEONARDT & COS BEAMTENFEDER MIT. KUGELSPITZ R (small capital D
    underscored)256868. I just wonder why a bloke who was in the middle of a devastated city on the brink of collapse would suddenly decide that it was important to pinch a few of the bosses pens before he took off.
    I suppose I just wondered what your thoughts were guys, like I said, I don't know if I'd be so impulsive now but strangely I'm not unhappy to have them. Have a read of the letter and see what you think, cheers, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Pens taken from Goebbels' desk

Dunno Dave, they could be from anywhere Mate.

Phill

I know Phill, I'd be unlikely to buy them now and would definitely show them here first but I've done stupider things and lived to tell the tale. I suppose the good thing is that I'll never know whether I was right or wrong to buy them!

Hi Dave, if you did not pay a fortune for them, I don't see why the story could not be true?

Taking a pen might just be for practical purposes at the time rather than anything else.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Well the way i see it Dave is who for certain could tell if they were or not?....very interesting and bizarre at the same time...

Thanks gents, sometimes I convince myself that these things are good and sometimes I think I've been taken for a ride. That letter makes me think.

?

Hello Gents,
    i'm not sure if my little story will mean any thing. it's just about the unusual things that came back from ww2. the comment that inspired me to write this was "why take a pen" i have seen so many things, that i had to ask why did a guy take that? and one item always comes to my mind. and i know some of you will crack up laughing, just as i did when i was told.
    i was at a gun show some years back shhhhhhh (it was almost 30 years ago) and on the table was an odd looking bathroom towel hanger. my first thought was WTF? this is a gun show. so i asked the guy what was the deal. he said in a matter of fact way that it was the towel bar was taken from the bathroom at Hermann Goering's home. of course i laughed wouldnt you ? under the towel bar on the table were two pictures of 2 GI's in a bathroom taking it off the wall. they were in uniform, period pic's. and the back of the pic had Goering's house writen on the back. the towel bar was odd enough design to tell it was the same. it's not something i'd ever buy, but i walked away thinking WTF, a towel rack ? why on earth would any one bother taking that ?
    i can only say that some odd things were brought back for reasons unknown to me.
    andrew

?

if you beileve they are real, and no one can truly say diffrent. than why not?

P.S. Andrew- how much did the seller want for the towel hanger?

cheers,
    pat

My neighbor was watching Gen. Patton target practice with his pistol.
    After Patton left, my neighbor picked up the empty shell casings and kept them.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

i HAD 2 BRASS CORNERS FROM THE COMMANDERS DESK IN THE POW CAMP, THE GUY I WORKED WITH TOOK THEM AS THE US CAME IN, NO WAY TO REALLY KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM SO THE VALEU WAS ?