Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Please and thank you.

Article about: I have noticed lately that a lot of newer members will post an item and after receiving replies, never respond. It seems these chaps were never educated properly to be courteous asking pleas

Manners have always been very important to me. They're a fundamental part of what makes us civilised, the cornerstone of a good-natured person. As someone who unfortunately works in the retail sphere, I know all too well that a staggering majority of people seem unaware of the phrases 'please' and 'thank you.' For the many short-term members who appear here, get their information and scuttle back into the blankness of the interwebs: What's so hard about typing 'thank you?'

I'd say decorum is important more so in this hobby than elsewhere. We are not simply collectors; we are educators. And who will listen to the words of someone who comes across as rude and selfish? Humbleness is a virtue, as is kindness, things I have found in abundance since jumping aboard only a month ago. It may seem strict to others, but if standards are not met, how far down the slope would the forum slip?

Something I have noticed, whether intentional or deliberate, is that there is no alert function on the forum for replies to posts. If you aren't about when your topic is replied to, it's very easy to miss it. There are, of course, email alerts, but not everyone habitually checks their inbox. I've managed to keep on top of everything I've posted so far, and have gone out of my way to thank the others who lend their time and effort for no charge.

It seems that the least I can do in return, in exchange for knowledge worth its weight in gold, is type 'Thank you.'

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    ..........Something I have noticed, whether intentional or deliberate, is that there is no alert function on the forum for replies to posts. If you aren't about when your topic is replied to, it's very easy to miss it. There are, of course, email alerts, but not everyone habitually checks their inbox. I've managed to keep on top of everything I've posted so far, and have gone out of my way to thank the others who lend their time and effort for no charge.
    There actually is. You just need to go to Settings. If you are "subscribed" to a thread you will see it here. It has a time limit on it (not sure how long) but I never miss a new post in a thread I'm subscribed to.

Plus as you note, there is the email option so if you do miss it under Settings, you should eventually read your email notification

Personally, I like the set up on WRF much better than any other forum. It's a bit older than some of the newer web builds and missing some bells and whistles but much easier to navigate. But that's just me...I still use a stone and chisel to communicate

Alert.jpg
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello

Politeness is the first of the rules !!!

cordially
    Didier

I started out as a newbie on another forum some 15 years ago asking the very
    same "what is it, what is it worth " questions. One person who was especially
    helpful to me told me as Glenn said--"A please and a thank you goes a longways."

So many people have helped me along the way that I feel obligated to pass on
    what I have learned to others that ask for help. I am always happy to help
    someone if I am able but like the rest of you, it does bother me when I may spend
    considerable time researching something only to have the OP disappear without a word.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 06-20-2017 at 04:14 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

If they can`t be bothered to say thanks I put their name on a list and next time I just ignore their demands for free knowledge.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I try and make it a priority to say "please or "thank you" or at the very least hit the Thank Button as a lot of the others on this forum have been collecting for much longer than me. The information that I have come across on this website has been a godsend for a newbie collector like myself.

...just to bump this one......I’d strongly suggest that responders (including contributors here) scour the initial requests for help and respond accordingly if the appropriate politeness is missing.

We all seem to agree that these “I want” requests shouldn’t be responded to.....yet “we” still pile in with support........we’re either not reading the request...or don’t have the b@lls to challenge.....

‘Just saying.....
    Last edited by Composite; 07-14-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Guys...this is a lost cause and I suggest this thread is closed.

Whilst I've challenged newbies for a "Please".....no-one else seems to do so and most (some in THIS thread!!) simply jump in and respond to whatever these parasites demand (yes..it IS a "demand"). This place is STILL full of folk who are driven by a "ooooh, pick-me, pick-me" attitude in wanting to be the first to show off their knowledge rather than their passion for this place to be a decent place.

I expect some agreeing response posts….like there’s been in the past….but I’ve yet to see anyone ACTUALLY challenge this stuff…..but I ALWAYS see responders piling in, eager to be first (and please don’t suggest that’s actually “eager to help”…because if we’re SERIOUS about “helping” these people let’s educate them in the basics first….)

Why bother with a “New Users Approval Forum”?....why don’t we throw the doors open and just sit and wait for our number to be called by these ignorant rude people who treat us all like lap-dogs?

'just saying.....

Hey the "New Users Approval Forum" was actually formed to weed out the Auto spammers etc.

....we may as well let them in too.....some one here is bound to respond to them too! :-)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast