Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pocket watch

Article about: Hi guys, I got this a couple of years ago, when I got a German helmet from a vet's estate in Arkansas. The helmet came with a Heer belt buckle, a long service cross, and this pocket watch. T

Default Re: Pocket watch

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Swiss watchmakers were importing cheap copies of quality American watches into the US.
    haha, I would have never guessed that! Thanks for your input. So the consensus is that it is an early 20th century American watch?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    haha, I would have never guessed that! Thanks for your input. So the consensus is that it is an early 20th century American watch?
    Yes, strange concept today isnt it?

It's quite an interesting history, and has a lot to do with the expansion of the US railroad system creating a huge demand for accurate watches (ownership of a 'railroad watch' was a requirement to getting a job on the US railroad, and they cost a lot of money back then). The Swiss were making out-and-out fakes (just like Rolex fakes today, but in reverse), until the US Congress got fed up with it and passed a new import law. Look up "Swiss Fake" pocket watches on Google, they are nowadays extremely collectable in their own right.

Ya, I would say it was an early 20th C American pocket watch, as said before of nice quality, but definitely an affordable type (as it was a less-expensive swiss import)

Rob

Thanks yet again Rob. This kind of makes me want to start collecting pocket watches.

Could very well be an import. Mo, antique pocket watches can
    also be as expensive as SS helmets and uniforms.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2