Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

The prices of WW2 helmets then and now!

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, I came across these adverts both of which featured in separate 1941 dated newspapers, and the prices struck me as interesting as there must have such demand the seller

?

Default The prices of WW2 helmets then and now!

Hi Fellow collectors, I came across these adverts both of which featured in separate 1941 dated newspapers, and the prices struck me as interesting as there must have such demand the seller decided to charge more towards the end of the year. I wonder how much these civilian helmets would cost now in 2014??

029.jpg
    030.jpg

?

Thanks for posting these adverts I am rather curious what the actual cost differance would be with the cost of inflation calculated in.
    If you don't mind Gary I have cost breakdowns for Canadian MK II helmets and there components spanning the three years of production that I can add to the thread for any interested parties.

Regards Mark

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Thanks for posting these adverts I am rather curious what the actual cost differance would be with the cost of inflation calculated in.
    If you don't mind Gary I have cost breakdowns for Canadian MK II helmets and there components spanning the three years of production that I can add to the thread for any interested parties.

Regards Mark
    Hi Mark, yes I agree but sadly my maths let me down there, and it would it be great and a very useful resource regarding the costing's of the Mk 2 helmets

Already ordered few from the ads...waiting game begins

?

As to the production costs of Canadian produced Mk II helmets I have been able to find a little relevant info .
    1940 the production costs for a Mk II helmet body was approx $ 0.92 each, raising slightly in 1941 to approx $ 0.95 but with the onset of US involvement in the war after Dec of 1941 .
    And as all the steel used in production for helmet bodies had to be imported into Canada from US sources and manganese steel was now at a premium and in high demand as the US was as well ramping up for the war effort this drove the costs of the helmet bodies up significantly and by early 1942 it now cost $ 1.30 per helmet body produced.
    The exception of course being approx 155,000 helmet bodies that were manufactured from mild steel in 1942 by G.S.W. for the Dept Pensions and Health to be used by the ARP which cost approx $ 0.050 to produce
    I can only find one reference to the costs of Canadian produced Mk II liners and that is for the 1940 production year the costs per liner were $0.64 per unit.
    And again only one reference for the costs of chinstrap production and again for the year of 1940 at $0.41 per unit produced.
    I have rounded the numbers up slightly to account for the cost of the liner retention nut and bolt as there is no mention of production costs.

Production costs
    1940 : $1,97
    1941 early 1942 : $2,00
    1942-1943 : $2,35

Regards Mark