Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Sad story

Article about: So why don't we put our money where our mouths are, there is a public donation site that is crowd sourced. Start a crowd sourcing donation for the guy, and I will donate. Lets do something a

CBH
    ?

Default A Sad story

WW2 Hero Sells Medals to Survive | Military.com

What is wrong with the western world these days , only the rich can have anything .
    A Hero has to sell off his medals to pay for a care home ! Very sad state of affairs .
    Chris

?

Default Re: A Sad story

Sadly it's nothing new Chris. Many veterans from at least WW1 and on have been neglected by the politicians/administrations sending them off to war. In Russia it have also been a big problem that retired officers/soldier can't even get n apartment even they are obliged to one. It's happily changing as many things are changing here very fast. In Denmark the disabled veterans from Afghanistan was all of a sudden not welcome any more at parades and such. "It looked bad"...

The Foreign Legion takes good care of their old though.

Regards, Lars

Damn... thats all i can say.

Nope, nothing new at all. You hear stories of recipients of the Victoria Cross and other awards doing the same thing on numerous occasions.

CBH
    ?

I guess your only useful to them , while your doing their bidding . Once your old they could care less . Still very sad . Thanks for the replies .
    Chris

This is all part of a very ugly world we now live in and I for one do not like it at all..........violence and greed are the only two things that seem to matter anymore and has totally consumed the entire planet,our ancestors would turn in there graves at what all there sacrifice has amounted to..............

I know times are tough and I can see how in this case a potential £100,000 would be tempting to anyone so I do see where they are coming from. Its no exaggeration to say, however, that if I were in the position to I would love to just give him the damn money and let him keep the medals

Sad indeed!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

CBH
    ?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I know times are tough and I can see how in this case a potential £100,000 would be tempting to anyone so I do see where they are coming from. Its no exaggeration to say, however, that if I were in the position to I would love to just give him the damn money and let him keep the medals
    Do you really think they can get that much for his medals and logbook etc ?

Erm. I couln't say. The thing is it will be totally up to how bad a collector wants it. Personally, I would value it in the Thousands, but perhaps not as high as 100,000. It does look like and interesting group. No doubt the group will find its price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast