Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sir Douglas Bader's tactics criticised by veterans.

Article about: Sorry Nick, you mentioned you dont regard him as a Battle of Britain Hero, then what do you regard him as? I know he was regarded as an arrogant foolish fellow, but in my eyes, to do what he

Default Re: Sir Douglas Bader's tactics criticised by veterans.

Sorry Nick, you mentioned you dont regard him as a Battle of Britain Hero, then what do you regard him as? I know he was regarded as an arrogant foolish fellow, but in my eyes, to do what he did, to overcome his obvious drawbacks, makes him a national british hero

He never fought in the Battle of Britain. Yes he lost his legs in a training flight that made him a national hero.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thats harsh Nick

I never refered to him as a Battle of Britain Hero. He was a brave man, full of " spunk " as i believe they said in those days, ...lol

Surely there are other Bader opinions out there //

?

Anyone who can lose both legs in a flying accident yet still climb into a Spitfire, still shoot down enemy planes, survive being shot down and escape from prisoner of war camps on several occasions is a hero in my eyes despite the controversy over his tactics.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I think the heros of the Battle of Britain were the 17/18 year olds who had only 10 hours flying training and were the first to confront the Luftwaffe..

I understand Baders 'Big Wing' was a back up. This is only my opinion and I dont want to offend any Bader fans

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

It amazes me that young guys like that went up against seasoned dog fighters. Pretty cool
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Adrian, well said, bravo old chap! He flew Hurricanes as well I believe, I prefer them, there was a Hurricane Training Airfield not far from me on the Duke of Westminster’s Estate and also an advanced Spitfire Training Airfield just up the road at RAF Sealand.

Adrian is correct. But any 17 year old boy who is told to get into a Hurricane with limited flying experience let alone combat experience and face what they did and die in the act, is more of a hero than Bader

Nick

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    I think the heros of the Battle of Britain were the 17/18 year olds who had only 10 hours flying training and were the first to confront the Luftwaffe..

I understand Baders 'Big Wing' was a back up. This is only my opinion and I dont want to offend any Bader fans

Nick
    Nick

No offence at all, i totally agree with you, the 17/18 year olds were the true hero's, as in the other theatre's of the war. But stop and think for a moment, do you not think Bader inspired those young fellows, gave them the courage to do what they did ? He may not have been a battle of britain veteran, a fighter ace as it were, he did fly sortees over Dunkirk, but he did inspire younger pilots i feel

- - Updated - -

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Adrian is correct. But any 17 year old boy who is told to get into a Hurricane with limited flying experience let alone combat experience and face what they did and die in the act, is more of a hero than Bader

Nick
    Do you not think leadership plays any part in combat ??

Sorry but this is only my selfish opinion.

Bader played no essential part in the Battle of Britain. Yes he is a great propaganda hero, however I dont believe he inspired the true young heros of the battle of Britain who displayed pure duty and guts

Nick

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast