Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Some advice needed

Article about: Hello! I recently made a post on the "Show your mannequins" thread about my RAF Leading Aircraftman uniform. Apparently this rank wasn't entitled to wear the Pilot wings and still

?

Default Some advice needed

Hello!

I recently made a post on the "Show your mannequins" thread about my RAF Leading Aircraftman uniform.

Apparently this rank wasn't entitled to wear the Pilot wings and still a pair of PW's are attached to my uniform and was probably added postwar. Therefore my question is, since they seem to be sewn to the uniform with just a few threads they seem to be relatively easy to remove. Would it be better to carefully remove the wings and still have a (IMO) good RAF uniform or simply try to return it to the dealer?

What would you all do?

Many thanks for your answers and time.

Best regards, Tobias

P.S I know the medal ribbon doesn't match either but I'm mainly focusing on the wings at the moment.

Insignia.jpg
    Full.jpg

?

Hello Tobias, it depends on how much you like the tunic and if it was very costly. While this is not my area of collecting that does look like a very nice tunic with or without wings. You have to be comfortable with your decision.

Good Luck, Al
    Regards, Al

If you paid over the top because the tunic was miss-sold as a pilot's i would return for a refund. If you paid the price of the sum of the parts i would remove the pilot's wings. Regards Paul (depends how much you like the tunic)

ATK
    ?

Price is important. If you paid much for the rank and wings, take your money back. Otherwise keep it. I wold not return it just for the wings and definetely put on display after removing them.

?

Thank you all, the price was not too bad at all for this tunic (250€) so I’ll feel pretty comfortable with removing the wings. I'll probably also feel alot more satisfied with the tunic now that It's historically accurate rather than I would if I were to keep the wings on it.

Another plus side is that the Wings look like a good pair so they'll be a new addition to the RAF collection I guess

Thanks again!

Tobias

?

And it's done! Very happy with the results (I have to thank my mom.)

Now I don't have to buy a pair of Wings atleast

new uniform 2.jpgnew uniform.jpgnew uniform 3.jpg

removed insignia.jpgremoved ins.jpg
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-27-2023 at 06:14 PM.

?

Excellent! Looks great
    Regards, Al

?

Hello Tobias,

Good decision removing them and great work by your mother. Looks very nice.

Best regards
    Wolf