Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Sporting use of military rifles

Article about: Most of the American Krags, 1903 Springfields, and 1917 Enfields I see have been sporterized to make hunting rifles. Semi-auto sporting versions of the AR are very popular hunting rifles in

Default Sporting use of military rifles

Most of the American Krags, 1903 Springfields, and 1917 Enfields I see have been sporterized to make hunting rifles. Semi-auto sporting versions of the AR are very popular hunting rifles in America.

I have read that the same is true in other countries. Lee Enfield rifles, and Martinis are popular with hunters in Britain, Canada, Australia, and other parts of the Commonwealth. They even manufacture a Lee Enfield in India in 8x50R Mannlicher for sporting use in that country, where military calibers are restricted.

I have also read that Germans and Austrians like their Mausers and Mannlichers for hunting both in Europe and Africa. Norwegians hunt moose with the 6.5mm Krag. A sporter version of the MAS36, with a trigger blocking safety added, was manufactured in France.

I have not read anything about Italians and Russians using Carcanos and Mosin Nagants for hunting. Carcanos and Mosin Nagants are both good rifles. I don't like the sight picture of the Carcano, but apparently the Italian military did. If Italian civilians don't like the sights, that is something easy to change. I don't like the safety on the Mosin, but it didn't bother an American I knew who used a Mosin as his hunting rifle.

If any members, especially those in Italy and Russia know about sporting use of these rifles, please post the information. I guess it was hard for Russians to get any rifle when the communists were in control, but how are things now? Do Russians today hunt with MN rifles? Do Italians hunt with Carcanos? Were Carcanos used for hunting in the Italian possesions in Africa? Mannlichers in 6.5mm were used for African game, and that is similar to the Carcano round.

I used a Parker hale 7.62mm conversion of a No4 for deer stalking for over 15 years. When I finally shot out the barrel it was cheaper to replace than re-barrel! Still It was good for several hundred deer, however with a short lightweight barrel you did not want to fire too many rounds!

My current original .303 in No4 (1943) however is excellent and .303in an excellent all round large(ish) game calibre.

R