Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Total mystery item

Article about: Hello everyone, I know I've been posting some Imperial german items recently and while going through them again I unrolled this cloth bundle I hadn't paid much attention to before and found

?

Default Total mystery item

Hello everyone, I know I've been posting some Imperial german items recently and while going through them again I unrolled this cloth bundle I hadn't paid much attention to before and found embroidered writing on it.

I have absolutely no idea what the writing means or says on it aside from Frankonia being a region in Germany. I hope someone knowledgeable here can help me figure out what this is. Thank you for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What do the ends look like..

Reminds me of a flag streamer of some sort..

Smitty

?

Here are the 2 ends of it Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    What do the ends look like..

Reminds me of a flag streamer of some sort..

Smitty
    Would agree flag streamer.

Morris

?

Thanks smitty and KW, but what about the writing on it? What does it say/is it for?

Thank you for the additional pictures..

I'm not very well versed on Imperial or Weimar period customs, or do I know if WW1 German units had flag streamers similar to the US Military...

Perhaps it is a streamer for a veterans organization... I will have to do some more digging.. Hopefully someone may be able to identify this...maybe check to see if there are any Imperial Ribbons which the same matching colors..

My wife is currently in the process of trying to translate this... Give is a little bit...

Smitty

?

Hello Wally6,

it is a jubilee ribbon for the 100th semester (50 years) of the Bonn Brotherhood Frankonia in 1895.

Frankonia is a student association of the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms University of Bonn in Germany, which was founded on December 11, 1845 by twelve students. It was a spin-off from the general Fridericia fraternity. From the beginning they placed value on camaraderie and "inner refinement" with individual differences.

The Frankonia is a pure men's association. Their motto is "Freedom, Honor, Fatherland" and their colors are "gold, white, red, gold". It is one of the "schlagende/striking" student associations, which means that they take part in mensures. A mensur is a traditional, strictly regulated fencing match between two male members of different student associations with sharpened bladed weapons. Cuts and the resulting scars in student mensures are referred to as "Schmisse".

The student association still exists today at the University of Bonn. Here is a link to their history and their famous members (unfortunately only in German).

Bonner Burschenschaft Frankonia – Wikipedia

Best regards
    Wolf

?

The ribbon reads: "Frankonia i./l. Alten Herren zum 100. Sem. / Frankonia to their dear old men for the 100th semester."
    Last edited by Wolf; 12-17-2020 at 03:10 PM.

?

Wow thank you Wolf! I never would've been able to figure it out by myself
    And thank you smitty for your help as well, I totally thought it was military or veterans as well

To add what Wolf found,,

Here is link to the Frankonia page and the first photo appears to maybe have sashes that may be similar to your ribbon...

L! Frankonia zu Triesdorf - Die Frankonia

Wonderful work WOLF...

Thank you.. My wife was translating and watching a movie at the same time.. You beat her to it...

Smitty