Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Trip to Bavaria in August.

Article about: Hello friends, next August 4 I will travel to Bavaria with wifey and son. We will spend seven days in Munich staying in a central hotel, although we will move to Nuremberg and perhaps Regens

Thanks so much for the advice and the pictures, Bob.

Regards
    Santi

20220804_110534.jpg

Well, friends. Here we go. Good forecast temperature and some rain. When I return home I will upload a few photos (type then and now) and some comments.

Regards from Madrid airport

Santi

?

have a safe and great trip.

Have nice holydays in my former Homeland!

Enjoy your trip.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hello friends.

A very busy end of summer and beginning of autumn and also managing to collect a few photographs of the time, have delayed being able to share my family trip to Bavaria last August.

I will start little by little by sharing my images of the places visited those first days of August with images of the history that occurred in those same places in the thirties and forties of the 20th century.

I start with a collage I made yesterday, with a newspaper, information brochures, postcards, vintage photos from my collection and some beer bottle caps I drank in a hot August in Munich.

I hope we have a fun few weeks. As always, click to enlarge images.

01 COLLAGE MÚNICH.jpg

I must point out that during the days of our visit, the city was commemorating the 50th anniversary of the 1972 Olympic Games and, in addition, the world beach volleyball championship was being held, so it was installed in the KönigsPlatz, (the most emblematic square in the city) the stadium and the huge stands, so we can see little of this historic square.

Feel free to add and comment.

Regards
    Santi

000.1.jpg
    Aerial view of Munich in the thirties

000.4 München Riem Flughafen (1939 - 1992) in 1941.jpg
    München Riem Flughafen in 1941

From October 25, 1939 to May 6, 1992, visitors arriving in the city of Munich by plane landed at Riem Airport, about ten kilometers east of the city center.

00. München Flughafen RIem.jpg

01. - copia.jpg
    A group of passengers after exiting a Lufthansa Ju-52 at Munich Riem Airport

Today's travelers land at the large, modern Franz Joseph Strauss International Airport about 30 kilometers northeast of the center of the Bavarian capital.

03. Flughafen Franz Jpseph Strauss from 1993.jpg
    Flughafen Franz Joseph Strauss. from 1993

06.jpg

04.jpg
    We also fly with Lufthansa... On an airbus A320
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 11-13-2022 at 09:06 PM.

I have this other photograph from 1936, when the city's "Flugplatz" airfield was included in the Deutschland aerial tour

01.01 Flugplatz München 1936.jpg
    Flugplatz München, 1936

The truth is that History surrounds us almost at the same moment in which the enormous Mercedes, our transfer to the hotel, picked us up at the terminal.

01.01.1.jpg

01.01.2.jpg

A couple of hundred meters from the highway as soon as we leave for Munich, on a hill next to a Lockheed Constellation and a Douglas C-47, Dakota, we can see this other wonderful plane...

01.2.1.jpg

01.3.1.jpg

Junkers Ju 52/3mte “Rudolf von Thüna” replica, exhibited in the Munich Airport Visitor Park, made by re-painting the CASA 352L aircraft, a Spanish version of Ju 52, manufactured between 1945 and 1952.

The CASA 352L that could be found in Munich, was produced in 1947 (or 1949, depending on the source) and since 1949 served in the Spanish Air Force, 401ª Escuadrilla Mixta en Guinea. Withdrawn from the active service in 1971, the aeroplane was acquired by the German company Kurfiss Aviation, registered as D-CIAS and used until 1974 for the sightseeing flights.

Afterwards, this aircraft was exhibited in the Frankfurt Airport area from 1974 until 1994, being a part of the Air Classic Exhibition. When the exhibition was closed in 1994, this CASA 352L changed its owners a few times, finally finding the final destination in Munich, at the Airport Visitor Park (Besucherpark am Flughafen München). At the beginning, the aircraft was carrying the D-CIAS registration, used in 1970s for the sightseeing flights, but in 2004 the livery was changed for D-ANOY "Rudolf von Thüna" commemorating the pioneering flight to China in 1937.

01.3.2.jpg

The main difference between the original D-ANOY Ju 52 and the aeroplane exhibited in Munich, that could be easily spotted, are the engines – the CASA 352L was powered by the Spanish-manufactured ENMA Beta B-4.

And to explain why exactly the D-ANOY livery was chosen, one of the German aviation pioneers – Carl August Freiherr von Gablenz – must be introduced first.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast