Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

What are you currently reading?

Article about: I always enjoy stumbling on good books that I haven't read or noticed before. Please share the book or books that you are currently reading . I'm sorry if a thread of this sort has already b

I'm currently reading the classic WWI memoir 'Storm of Steel' by Ernst Jünger!
    20200627_110357.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great book
    Santi

Für Volk und Führer. Quite a read.

I just finished reading The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan. I found a new favorite for sure. What a suspenseful buildup. There are two days in history which I wish I could go back to. July 3rd, 1863 at Gettysburg to charge for the high water mark of the Confederacy, and June 6th, 1944 to be in the first wave on Omaha Beach. Why was I born so late.

I am currently reading "It Never Snows in September" The German View of Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944, by Robert J. Kershaw.

This is an interesting account of the battle as seen through the German forces perspective..

Smitty

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    I just finished reading The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan. I found a new favorite for sure. What a suspenseful buildup. There are two days in history which I wish I could go back to. July 3rd, 1863 at Gettysburg to charge for the high water mark of the Confederacy, and June 6th, 1944 to be in the first wave on Omaha Beach. Why was I born so late.
    History is still in the making!

?

I've read most of this one but it's getting tougher to get through--very sad--the Japs were so cruel and barbaric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

July History books.jpg

I just finished Scott Duff's The M1 Garand: World War II. Talk about detailed! There's definitely a reason he's the authority on M1 Garands.

I'm halfway through Tower of Skulls: A History of the Asia-Pacific War, Vol. 1 by Richard B. Frank. That has been very interesting. It spans July 1937, starting with the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, through May 1942. I've enjoyed learning more about the tensions between China and Japan, and how that part of the conflict began. I'm currently on the attacks of Guam and Wake Island.

I read the above mentioned book, Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang, about 3 years ago. It was very good. You're right though...hard to get through in many places. Very tragic stories.

CSW
    ?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    There are two days in history which I wish I could go back to. July 3rd, 1863 at Gettysburg to charge for the high water mark of the Confederacy, and June 6th, 1944 to be in the first wave on Omaha Beach. Why was I born so late.

Sorry but this one caught my attention and I sincerely hope I misunderstood your comment. Trying to survive in the middle of a bloody battle is most certainly NOT something you would like to experience.

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast