Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why does everyone hate Jo Rivett?

Article about: Why is Jo Rivett so hated? Although appearing arrogant due to his knowledge from his forum interactions and interviews I've read, people seem to despise him for providing detailed research t

Default Why does everyone hate Jo Rivett?

Why is Jo Rivett so hated? Although appearing arrogant due to his knowledge from his forum interactions and interviews I've read, people seem to despise him for providing detailed research that has disproven many fakes items and apparently exposing a "mafia" mentality among some popular forums. I'm getting the feeling that there is an "old boys club" at least from US based forums, shows and interactions I've had. But if Jo really is exposing fakes and this club mentality he should be respected for that. Sure, he could probably get his message across a little more eloquently but sometimes it takes a little "shock culture" to get people to listen. To be clear I am not defending Jo or any of the accusations he's made or the people he's accused. I'm focusing on party badges and came across his book The Party Badge which led me down a rabbit hole.

Certainly a man with a lot of knowledge, but extremely arrogant and pig ignorant. The fact that he is banned from this forum should say enough.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Certainly a man with a lot of knowledge, but extremely arrogant and pig ignorant. The fact that he is banned from this forum should say enough.
    Clearly I'm not a forum administrator but just because someone is arrogant shouldn't mean they are banned, especially if they are providing knowledge and facts that could change the course of collecting as we know it. I'm sure there are probably some crooked dealers out there, as every industry has some bad apples. Personally, I like when people are straight forward and they cut through the "shit" as it were. But if he was degrading people with slurs and insults and not providing evidence of their misdeeds, then I guess that's a different story. That aside, I hope the community does not dismiss his research because as items get rarer and a new, younger generation starts to replace the old guard we must do all we can to disprove and correct misinformation. I guess that's my opinion.

Like i said he is clearly knowledgeable, but the way he spoke to people did him no favours at all.

?

Aside from personality issues, people can't handle the truth. Bottom line many collectors and people profiting from this hobby don't like their fakes exposed. People who have spent untold thousands on items that are clearly exposed by Jo instantly become worthless. Not to mention future sales of this exposed worthless junk is jeopardized. As a true collector it's important for me to verify the authenticity otherwise I have no use for it.

Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Aside from personality issues, people can't handle the truth. Bottom line many collectors and people profiting from this hobby don't like their fakes exposed. People who have spent untold thousands on items that are clearly exposed by Jo instantly become worthless. Not to mention future sales of this exposed worthless junk is jeopardized. As a true collector it's important for me to verify the authenticity otherwise I have no use for it.

Al
    That's kind of what I gathered and that is so unfortunate and disheartening for new collectors like myself to see that people are putting money (surprise, not really) over preserving true, historical fact. If these people were true stewards of history, you would expect them to do their part to stop that behavior.

?

Believe me, fraud and ignorance are rampant in this hobby but your best defense is to learn about what you are collecting. Where there is money to be made there will always be greed and deceit. This forum however is by far the best on the web, with some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people you can find. Become a paying member here for $25 a year and it will be the best investment in collecting you can make. Good luck, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Believe me, fraud and ignorance are rampant in this hobby but your best defense is to learn about what you are collecting. Where there is money to be made there will always be greed and deceit. This forum however is by far the best on the web, with some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people you can find. Become a paying member here for $25 a year and it will be the best investment in collecting you can make. Good luck, Al
    Ironically this was one of the places he discussed as late as March 2019 in this interview. Though his criticism of here was much kinder than that of Wehrmacht Awards: Droog Magazine. Investigations

?

I know, I have seen his interviews but his vitriol was usually directed towards the WAF and certain dealers. Thanks for the link.

He is no better than those who he condemns, as far as he is concerned, he can do no wrong.
    I am all for the truth about original items but, you have to actually have some people skills to stand above the rest.
    Ralph.

P.S. He has been banned from here as well, a couple of times.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast