Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WW1 Veteran who was left for dead at Passchendale medals to be sold.

Article about: Another interesting but also sad tale of a Veterans's medals being sold by a family member. I hope Major Robert Collie MBE's belongings go to a collector who will value and appreciate them T

willie45-the WW2 medals haven't increased, apart from a reduction in the criterion for the 1939-45 Star-it's the post war era that's seen an explosion of new awards.

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Guys if it wasn't for guys like this we wouldn't have any new treasures to post . Let's just hope the new owner will care for them . Gary
    Sadly all to true, if they were not sold we could not collect them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Allegra View Post
    Normally I would agree with you - I certainly do about the fact that the family will miss out on an historic heirloom.

But the gentleman who is selling is 75, not 45 and actually may need the money.

If this is indeed the case, I do not begrudge him this opportunity.

Cheers
    Tim
    obviously if he needs the money who am I or any of us to begrudge him that. I have read of plenty of Veterans who had to sell their medals because they needed the money, after WWI in particular which is why you often see the British War Medal missing from WWI groups because they were made of silver and had a scrap value. I have two WWI groups missing the silver medal and one of them I met the relative who had sold the group when I visited his family plot and they said the group had just sat in a drawer for years.

As I posted, a shame his family don't want them, for what ever reason.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    willie45-the WW2 medals haven't increased, apart from a reduction in the criterion for the 1939-45 Star-it's the post war era that's seen an explosion of new awards.
    I'm not sure what the change was in the 1939-45 Star. My dad went to Morotai as a re-enforcement for the 2nd.9th. and had been in operational service just shy of the 6 months when the war ended in Balikpapan. He wasn't eligible for the 1939-45 Star, but has received it in recent years. I'm wondering if they extended the operational service definition to cover the immediate post war peacekeeping period.

Cheers, Willie.

It appears this lot will be up for auction on Thursday, December 5, 2013.

There are some additional, high quality pictures in the listing.

It's a shame the family will no longer provide a home for them but I trust a collector will find a place for them.

https://www.eastbourneauction.com/Ca...on_items_rs=10

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3