Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 Bomb kills German construction worker

Article about: Loads of scary UXOs out there. Food for thought in all the info in the posts/links above. After the war Mustards Gas was also dumped in huge quantities in the Baltic Sea. This has come back

Default WW2 Bomb kills German construction worker

BBC News - WW2 bomb blast kills digger driver in Germany

A World War Two bomb has exploded at a construction site near a west German town, killing a man and injuring eight others, police say.

The explosion occurred after a digger accidentally struck the device during excavation work in Euskirchen in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.

The machine's operator died on the spot. Two of those hurt were critically wounded, the dpa news agency reports.

Police said the blast impact could be felt a kilometre (0.6miles) away.

The incident took place around 13.30 local time (12.30 GMT) in an industrial park on the edge of town.

The bomb blew up when it was disturbed by the digger, as the machine lifted up earth and debris.

The blast damaged nearby office buildings and cars. Police say the explosion also smashed the windows of some local shops and homes.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Tragic as this is, it may stiffen up the metal detecting rules I would assume.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

That is tragic. Sadly, I fear it won't be the last time this happens.

Sad indeed. There must be hundreds still buried

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

What about all the Chemical weapons dumped in the sea,especially near China,where it wasnt really documented ..ticking timebomb

?

I saw a documentary some years back, and they estimated that 1 ton of ordnance has been "cleared" every day since WW2 from the North European battle fields, ... and their estimate was at least another 70 years of the same, before they have started to get on top of things.

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Sad indeed. There must be hundreds still buried

Nick
    If only.

As of 2013, German authorities estimate roughly 100,000 pieces of undiscovered unexploded ordnance from WW2.

Every year, an average of 5,500 duds are disarmed and disposed.

Experts defuse unexploded WWII bomb in central Berlin - CNN.com

"Here in Berlin it is a fact of daily life to defuse bombs, but without question they are risking a lot."

Nearly every time i've visited Berlin the bomb disposal people have been called to some building site or other!..

?

Tragic event but It will serve as a good reminder what can still happen.I notice a certain complacency some times when people uncover relics these days.

Quote by bboywizard View Post
    What about all the Chemical weapons dumped in the sea,especially near China,where it wasnt really documented ..ticking timebomb
    not just there, the north sea/english channel and the US east coast are rife with dumped chemical munitions on a scale that makes the current mess in Syria almost childs play.

www.vliz.be/imisdocs/publications/215172.pdf‎

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast