Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

youtube heads up: WWII history with a Russian slant/from a Russian POV.

Article about: The 'SOVIET STORM' series is a made for Russian TV documentary. Its divided into installments, so one can pick and choose according to ones field of interest...or just watch them all. One mi

?

Default youtube heads up: WWII history with a Russian slant/from a Russian POV.

The 'SOVIET STORM' series is a made for Russian TV documentary.

Its divided into installments, so one can pick and choose according to ones field of interest...or just watch them all.

One might call it 'history light' - what ever ones opinion, its entertaining and interesting IMO.

There is a good deal of acting to make for a good flow and also a good deal of animation (for example planes in the air war segment), but not only are the uniforms interesting, there is also the occasional glimpse of military hardware and as mentioned a good flow in regards to narration.

The series include installments on (in no particular order):

OP Barbarossa
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - Operation Barbarossa (1 series) - YouTube

Liberation of the Ukraine
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - The Liberation of Ukraine (10 series) - YouTube

Stalingrad
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - Stalingrad (7 series) - YouTube

The Secret War
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - The Secret War (15 series) - YouTube

Battle of Kiev
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - The Battle of Kiev (2 series) - YouTube

Defence of Sevastopol
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - The Defence of Sevastopol (3 series) - YouTube

The Air War
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - The Air War (12 series) - YouTube

OP Bagration
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - Operation Bagration (11 series) - YouTube

The Rzhev Meat-Grinder
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - The Rzhev Meat-Grinder (6 series) - YouTube

War against Japan
    Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East - War against Japan (18 series) - YouTube

...and several more.

No doubt much will seem like a repetition to old hands and indeed many will know the history described, but this is made relatively recently (2011), with Russian eyes, ditto equipment and mind set hence interesting IMO.

I thought it interesting and occasionally one might be surprised; I was just watching a segment, where the storm on Fort Winiary in Poznan/Posen was mentioned. I'd never head of that fort before, so yet another trip to Poznan might be in order.

Sorge we know about, but who has heard about Pyotr Pryadkin?
    In the segment about 'The Secret War,' I found mention of the infiltrator Pyotr Pryadkin and his actions very interesting to say the least...and so on and so forth.

Series commentary is in ENGLISH (map names of course in Cyrillic, but that is a minor detail).

Default Re: youtube heads up: WWII history with a Russian slant/from a Russian POV.

I had not heard of that fort either and I was in Poznan last week.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: youtube heads up: WWII history with a Russian slant/from a Russian POV.

My favorite theater of WWII.......nothing comes close to the fighting on the Eastern front!