2 page Letter typed by Navy Service Member to his sweetheart while he was aboard the Battleship U.S.S. New York, September 27th 1943.
This is the second letter from James H Winter that I’m posting. I posted the first yesterday. This one was typed about 4 months after the previous letter I posted.

Page 1:
2 page Letter typed by Navy Service Member to his sweetheart while he was aboard the Battleship U.S.S. New York, September 27th 1943.
U.S.S. NEW YORK

Care Fleet Post Office, New York, N. Y.
Monday, 27 September, 1943

Pearl My Darling,

Here is that letter I promised you--although there will be precious little to put into it. I caught the boat after seeing you safely on your way--and hope you haven't been too unhappy today, because there is really so little to be unhappy about, when we come right down to it. Things here are of course just the same--Tiers is still here, and we guessed right about his wife--she is somewhere in Norfolk. Things are going on with the same deadly routine--and all is disgustingly serene. I tried to get Mr. Maguire his pen and pencil set, but they arent here as yet, so no luck. I did however get Hazel a pin like yours (only newer and shinier) and will mail it out today or tomorrow. Also will drop her a line, so whe will understand the lateness of it all.

There was a grand letter from George awaiting me, and one from John enclosed therein--also one from Mother and one about the insurance, which I shall attend to immediately. The others I’ll answer if I get a chance and will save for your inspection- although I may have to delete certain parts of John's.

There is so little to write about, and so very much to do, as always, that I think I had better close this and maybe do some more tomorrow. Save the "Fast Company" book for me, and we'll finish it then I'M home. Oh--we get Saturday in anycase, I think.

Page 2:
May also have a pleasant surprise for you when I see you next. Hope, I hope, I hope. Well--someone else needs this "mill for business purposes, so I had better knock off. I miss you so much--guess I'm spoiled for good- See you soon, though-

Love as always,

Jim