Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Aircraft Identification Journal

Article about: Hello folks. Snagged this one off eBay a few weeks ago. A quick search for Home Front collectibles will bring up a good selection of aircraft identification books put out by various publishe

Default Aircraft Identification Journal

Hello folks.

Snagged this one off eBay a few weeks ago. A quick search for Home Front collectibles will bring up a good selection of aircraft identification books put out by various publishers, so they are not at all uncommon as a rule. But what I have here is, I believe, rather unique.
    These are a series of books titled 'Aircraft Identification: Friend or Foe?' published in three parts by 'The Aeroplane' magazine, with an advertisement for it placed on the back of each book. This piece comprises three editions, fashioned into a single reference journal. This was done by an unnamed member of the RAF, as indicated by the handwriting on the inside of the front cover. It was done to a very professional standard, although the whole book has stood the test of time poorly. The ink has smudged and run in a few places, and a fair few pages have come unattached from the spine and are floating freely within the book. The spine itself appears to have been reinforced with duct tape rather recently.
    All pages do all seem to be present and accounted for, however.
    It also seems that this book had a second owner, who has proceeded to cross out the first name and write their own beside it. They have also made pencil notes throughout on various pages, and the top corner of each page is ticked. This likely saw heavy use with a very enthusiastic plane spotter after the war. While this postwar use might be enough to put some off, it only increased the appeal of it for me.

Sometimes it's the personal things, rather than those that are rare or expensive, that appeal to us collectors the most. For me, this book is one such item.

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircraft Identification Journal   Aircraft Identification Journal  

Aircraft Identification Journal   Aircraft Identification Journal  

Great find!.....

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Great find!.....
    Only cost me ten quid as well!

B.B.

Bargain!