Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Angry WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier to his wife who he suspected was cheating on him back home.

Article about: This letter was written by a Roland H Yeager. He was born on March 5th 1919. He served in the 315th infantry Regiment within the 79th Infantry Division. He had been told by someone back home

Default Angry WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier to his wife who he suspected was cheating on him back home.

Angry WW2 Era Letter Written by Soldier to his wife who he suspected was cheating on him back home.
    This letter was written by a Roland H Yeager. He was born on March 5th 1919. He served in the 315th infantry Regiment within the 79th Infantry Division. He had been told by someone back home that his wife, Charlene Hollembeak, had been leaving for long periods of time and leaving their son home alone. He sent this letter to his wife after learning of this. The letter reads:

September 26th 1945
    Kitzingen, Germany

Dearest Darling and Son;

No mail from you now for five days. Why? Are you too busy running around? Why do I have to hear things about what you do from someone else before I hear it from you. I guess you try to do them on a sneak but sometimes you don’t cover. You are in for a lot of hell when I get there for going to Denver and leaving our son. I don’t care for what kind of an excuse you have, it just isn’t worth while thinking about to me. You can shop enough in one day in a town like Denver. Of course if you are meeting someone there you wouldn’t want my son to be there, you couldn’t enjoy yourself with him. I have put up with a lot of things but this is one I won’t stand for. I didn’t ever think you would let Rodney alone and overnight but I know different now. You could have wrote and told me about it and I wouldn’t have thought anything of it but you just don’t have time for me I can see now. Well whoever it might be that is taking so much of yours, I hope you enjoyed it enough for the hell you will go through now. I just can’t stand it, to think you would do something like that.

I have loved you from the first time I saw you, but i guess if a guy isn’t there, someone else can work his way into the heart of the woman you love. Why did you do it honey? Why?

I can’t believe it honey but someone wrote a letter and told me and it wasn’t any of my folks either? I guess they have seen so much of it that they don’t bother to write about it to me. If I was back in the states right now I would come home and take care of my son. I would see that anytime someone wanted to go someplace they would take him along or not go. Why do you have to do something like this to me. I have tried my best to be the kind of husband you wanted me to be but this is beyond reason. I just can’t stand it and the more I write the worse I feel. Will close. I don’t guess it will do me any good to look for a letter from the one I love but I will keep on looking everyday just the same. Hoping that you won’t be too busy running around.

I will never stop loving you. Honest.

Love and kisses ,
    Daddy (I might have been a sucker but not anymore . Roland)

P.S. I got a letter from Wilson and he is in the 94th inf. Division.”

Charlene and Roland had gotten married in 1941. According to records I found online, Roland and Charlene stayed together after he returned to the states. She would pass away in January of 1982 after a long illness. He would remarry a year later. Roland would pass away on May 26th 2010.

?

I'm hooked - I want to know her reply.

Hi JB.

Thank you for sharing this and once again shows once again the fears of the common soldier.

Roland Henry Yeager in the U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947

Name: Roland Henry Yeager
    Race: White
    Relationship to Draftee Self (Head)
    Birth Date: 5 Mar 1919
    Birth Place: Denver, Colorado, USA
    Residence Place: Denver, Denver, Colorado, USA
    Registration Date: 16 Oct 1940
    Registration Place: Denver, Denver, Colorado, USA
    Employer: Magnus Metal Division
    Height: 6 4
    Weight: 160
    Complexion: Light
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Brown
    Next of Kin: Kate Yeager (mother)

Roland Henry Yeager in the U.S., American Historical Society of Germans from Russia Obituaries, 1899-2012 -

Photo of Roland -

Obituary of Roland Yeager | Funeral Homes & Cremation Services | Al...

Rolands daughter who passed away -

In Memory of Joan (Romo) Yeager - ACHS Class of 1972

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Am I reading the obituary letter correctly? Roland married two women both with the surname Hollembeak? Coincidence? Sisters? Typo?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Am I reading the obituary letter correctly? Roland married two women both with the surname Hollembeak? Coincidence? Sisters? Typo?
    Adrian, I noticed that too. I checked Ancestry but the information on his second wife is listed as private. What I did find is that Shirly Ann Hollembeak (maiden name Shumate) was married to a Mr John Hollembeak, but they divorced on the 24th of March 1983, then she married Roland on the 11th of April 1983. Maybe Shirley was Rolands sister in law.
    Last edited by Willmore; 08-08-2023 at 10:12 PM.

?

Interesting that they kept this letter, surely there's more to the story we aren't privy to.

The sister-in-law angle makes sense. My great-grandmother got deathly ill at a young age and made her sister promise to marry her husband when she died to help raise the kids. After she passed, my great-grandfather had to sail to Italy to retrieve his sister-in-law...from a nunnery. They remained married until they passed of old age.

Sad fact of being a Soldier is that in addition to facing the enemy and all the perils of combat and death knocking at your door, is what is happening on the home front.. Infidelity will kill a soul of a Soldier and can jeopardize the combat effectiveness of a unit. When a Soldier is focused on the issues at home and not the combat situation, lives are lost...

Saw firsthand with some of my Soldiers the effects of infidelity and the mental toll it took on Soldiers, some to the point of near suicide just to get home...

Truly Blessed to have married a strong Christian woman who was also a military brat who understood and supported my career and did everything in her powers to bring the younger spouses who were struggling through tough times. She was and still is my Rock..

Smitty