Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Armed Service Editions Books

Article about: I wanted to share a couple of my finds from this weekend. Once a month there is an "old time trade days" sale close to where I live. My husband and I try to go every month, and I c

Smitty - Thanks for posting! Oh, I love Robert Benchley! He's so funny in his movie shorts from the 1930s' and '40s. That's where I know him best from. I haven't read any of his books or articles, but I knew he was a humorist for some newspapers and magazines, too. Mark, you might recognize his face...here's a picture of him.

Armed Service Editions Books

I looked up what this book is about. Here's part of the blurb for it:

"This was a pleasant collection of a variety of essays and short articles written by Benchley and published in several different magazines of the times. Benchley had a fertile mind for the use of wordplay. His little works displayed a strong knowledge of puns and farce. The title of the book itself has no actual meaning related to the contents. He just liked the title. All of these short pieces were written before his relationship with “The New Yorker” magazine came into effect. One of his best customers seemed to be the “Detroit Athletic Club News,” followed by “Life” magazine."

Very cool! Again, thanks for sharing!

Oh, and Mark, I like your "fathom" pun, haha!

Mark,

I too am in "the deep" in regards to the titles of the book.. I thought it was a combination of both stories in one book but I was mistaken.... Here is shot of the back that may better explain to the "Leagues" out there..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Armed Service Editions Books  

Quote by LoyalHistorian View Post
    Oh, and Mark, I like your "fathom" pun, haha!

I hoped somebody would spot that!

It surprises me how many people today vaguely know the term "to fathom" as meaning to gain an understanding of something yet have have no idea of the origin of the word and what a fathom actually is (ie a measure of depth in water = 6ft)

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Mark,

I too am in "the deep" in regards to the titles of the book.. I thought it was a combination of both stories in one book but I was mistaken.... Here is shot of the back that may better explain to the "Leagues" out there..

Smitty
    Ah, I get it, satire!

Yes the idea that it might be a meld of the two occurred to me but seemed so bizzare as to be impossible in any meaningful way

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123