MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

British WW2 casualty Paybooks

Article about: I've posted these elsewhere but I thought a thread showing my casualty paybooks in chronological order with a write up of each may be of interest, any thoughts or observations please feel fr

?

317992 Andrew Taylor Gibson, he has served in 155 (Lanarkshire Yeomanry) Field Regiment RA and had been in Malaya but was evacuated with tuberculosis just before the unit was pushed back to Singapore and forced to surrender. On recovery he moved to the Pioneer Corps with whom he served the rest of the war - after discharge he returned to the family home on a farm in the Scottish Borders but as you can see on the death certificate entry (not very clear I know) he committed suicide 28/7/46, as with a previous book he had been discharged but is commemorated by the CWGC. I visited his grave a while ago.

I exchanged messages with a relative of his and the story in the family is that when he returned home he managed to pass the TB to his father who died as a result - the feelings of responsibility along with the effect of the TB on his emotions pushed him to suicide.

A very sad one indeed.

?

His father had remarried (Andrews mother had died when he was young) so after the fathers death he was in a house with his now widowed step Mother and the relative I spoke to thinks, not surprisingly, that their relationship may not have been good

I wonder how he was affected by his service, he had been in a local Yeomanry unit where all the men would have been very close, when they went in to action he was taken to safety and his unit, almost to a man, was taken by the Japanese and suffered a hellish captivity with many dying. Did he maybe feel he had let them down, did he feel shame seeing the families of his comrades, when the survivors returned and he saw them around the area did he feel a bit of an outsider - he did nothing wrong but he was a Sergeant so probably felt a duty to protect - I could be overthinking it but it can't have been easy.

I definitely agree with your thoughts on this. As a Sergeant I’d imagine he would have felt like he could have helped ‘his boys’ if he was there and probably would have suffered a degree of survivors guilt.

?

5776759 Jack Needler of the Royal Norfolk Regiment who had served with 6 Commando and was wounded 20/8/44 at Angoville, on 20/9/46 he committed suicide by shooting himself at Barossa Barracks Aldershot

?

T/14854002 Harvey Denison Nicholas of 935 Company RASC who was killed 31/10/46 when involved in a motorbike accident with a motor vehicle resulting in a fractured skull

?

6857551 Peter Richard Penfold or 2nd Kings Royal Rifle Corps he died 30/1/47 from Heart Failure and Pulmonary Tuberculosis

?

14402384 Harold Frederick Sargeant of 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment, he was captured on Sicily at the Primasole Bridge, and released in 1945 - on 5/7/47 he died of Pulmonary Tuberculosis, as with a couple of the others he had been discharged by this point but is commemorated by the CWGC as War Dead

?

13093922 James Ross of the Pioneer Corps again he had been discharged at the point he passed on 28/8/47 of pulmonary tuberculosis and heart failure

?

14184806 Clifford Wood of 12th Anti-tank Regiment RA, on 6/4/48 members of the Irgun arrived at their camp at Kirkur disguised in British uniform and vehicles, they killed the sentry then stormed the guard room killing the guard and destroying the wireless, they then moved around the camp engaging other soldiers as they saw them and stealing weapons from the armoury - after about 30 minutes some of the Gunners managed to get their SP Guns moving and heading towards the terrorist who withdrew under cover of mines and road blocks leaving 7 men (including the Regiments CO and Gunner Wood) dead - some reports say several of the dead had been captured and were executed.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast