Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

British WW2 casualty Paybooks

Article about: I've posted these elsewhere but I thought a thread showing my casualty paybooks in chronological order with a write up of each may be of interest, any thoughts or observations please feel fr

?

Default British WW2 casualty Paybooks

I've posted these elsewhere but I thought a thread showing my casualty paybooks in chronological order with a write up of each may be of interest, any thoughts or observations please feel free to add

7890403 Ian Grant, 1st Lothian and Borders Yeomanry with 51st Highland Division, on 13/5/40 he was in command of a Vickers Light Tank, no2 Tank "Battle Royal" of 1 troop of B Squadron, he skirted round the edge of the Grossenwald around 2miles NW of Halstroff to patrol and resupply forward troops when his tank was hit by an anti-tank gun killing him instantly, a patrol later checked the tank but his body couldn't be recovered and though buried later his grave was lost

The below photo of "Battle Royal" was posted on Facebook and had been listed on eBay

Last edited by AB64; 03-07-2021 at 01:32 PM.

?

5499737 Leslie Margrie of the 1/6th Queens Royal Regiment part of 44th Division, I believe he died of wounds as a POW 22/5/40 near Schorisse where he is buried

?

1665144 Alfred Ernest French of 53rd Medium Regiment RA, part of 2 Corps, he made it back to the Dunkirk perimeter but at some point was wounded and seems to have died in 12th Casualty Clearing Station at Rosendael on 31/5/40

?

5825088 William Arthur Cornell of 1st Suffolks, 3rd Division - I believe he was wounded 1/6/40 around the Yser canal and died of his wounds 15/6/40 as a POW, he is buried in Bruges - I visited the cemetery about 2 years ago (unaware he was buried there) and when I saw his grave it jumped out to me as familiar so I had to quickly double check some details on my phone to remind myself why I recognised the name, I could so easily have missed him (as I did with another gent in Assisi whose paybook I have) - I now have a spreadsheet of casualties who are represented in my collection to make sure if I am nearby I don't miss stopping to say thank you.

?

4343638 Ronald Tidy of the 1st East York's, he died 20/7/40 in India but beyond that I'm stumped - casualty returns originally reported him as missing believed drowned but this was then amended to simply died, he has no grave - hopefully one day his service records will reveal a bit more

?

5876948 Geoffrey Ernest Rice of HQ 12th LAA Regiment RA, 6th AA Division, who died in England 4/10/40 I'm not sure why. He had served in WW1 in the Infantry and was wounded - the effects of that are noted in the distinctive marks

?

6913630 Henry Brown of C Company 2nd Rifle Brigade part of 1st Armoured Division, he was hit in the back by passing enemy aircraft on 22/12/4 around Halfaya Pass and died 26/12/40 (his initial grave marker gives the date as 25th)

British WW2 casualty PaybooksBritish WW2 casualty Paybooks

A copy of the letter from his Company Commander, this was done by the family at some time, the group includes the original letter but it is in very poor condition which is probably why someone typed up a copy

British WW2 casualty PaybooksBritish WW2 casualty Paybooks

Rifleman Brown had been wounded previously on 7/7/40 in Egypt

British WW2 casualty PaybooksBritish WW2 casualty PaybooksBritish WW2 casualty Paybooks

Rifleman Browns current grave as well as his previous crosses at Sidi Barani and Halfaya

?

2060871 William Arthur Ronald Oexle or 310 Battery, 74th Searchlight Regiment RA who were with 29th AA Brigade - on 19/1/41 his position at East Greensward was dive bombed and he was killed

?

843013 William Harold Brunt of 122nd Field Regiment RA who died of Encephalitis in Singapore on 28/3/41 shortly after arriving from the UK

?

319994 Percy Walter John Spackman of 7th Hussars a Desert Rat with 7th Armoured Division, he had been involved in the heavy fighting across North Africa, unfortunately on 7/6/41 while enjoying some well earned leave in Alexandria and enjoying a drink in a café he was caught up in an Air Raid which hit the building killing him

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast