Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch East Indies Japanese Invasion Report Letter

Article about: Since Dutch East Indies belong to the Western Allies, so i put it in here. Recently i got this letter during Japanese invasion of Dutch East Indies. The letter is in old Bahasa Indonesia and

Lightbulb Dutch East Indies Japanese Invasion Report Letter

Since Dutch East Indies belong to the Western Allies, so i put it in here.
    Recently i got this letter during Japanese invasion of Dutch East Indies. The letter is in old Bahasa Indonesia and dated February 24th 1942. The letter is for King H.K. Tombolututu of small Kingdom of Moutong in Celebes explaining about the current situation at that time.
    (King Tombolututu reigned 1929-1945)
    Here's the translation in english.

(I'm sorry i only i can put the cropped version in here because i'll use the letter for my future book.)
    Tinombo February 24th 1942
    To His Majesty King Moutong in Moutong

All respect i give to His Majesty.
    What His Majesty's opinion i already conveyed to His Majesty Controleur Parigi. Also i already received reply from His Majesty Controleur Militair from Palu, we still couldn't return from Toli-Toli and the majority still on defenses in Donggala because in this couple of days there's great battle between Makassar and Donggala.
    Japanese already tried to attack Bali so this great battle happened. Reinforcement from America took part in the battle as well such as tens of American Flying Fortress. So as their warships and submarines.
    According to Palu military order that is, if there's enemy of whom already entered Kingdom of Moutong territory must be shot death or killed by the local without waiting from military order. Like it happened in Togian Island when the incoming Gorontalos were killed by the locals. 16 men were killed.
    If His Majesty want to trust mr. Hi. Magdan, His Majesty Controleur did not mind in fact he's really agreed Hi. Magdan appointed momentarily as Kampong Moutong Vice Chief to assist Moutong District Chief. If he himself did not mind, it'll be better he along with Moutong District Chief establish a military group consist of the locals. When enemies or Gorontalos come to Moutong territory, they should be killed immediately when they have evil intent. If wearing Japanese flag, they should be enemy and should be killed.
    All oil in Parigi already have been burned (the ones kept is for Dutch Navy) because it shouldn't fall to the enemy. Because according to the information, the sea battle between Makasar and Donggala could be seen from Donggala.
    In this week, His Majesty Controleur will come to Tinombo only for a while. Any discussion, i will send it by mail to His Majesty. He came as well in the last Wednesday but i didn't meet him.
    Gaib Warikki already in Tinombo with His Majesty's car. Husen willing to transport goods to Poso. There's no other news and i hope and pray to the God to protect His Majesty during journey. Amen.

B.A. Tinombo

It's interesting to see the Moutong saw the Gorontalos with suspicious as pro Japanese. And B-17 used by the USAAF 19th and 7th Bombardment Group was indeed famous in the eyes of locals. I hope i can find more kind of this letter in the future.

An interesting historical document, for any student of the Japanese invasion of the then Dutch East Indies I would think. Thanks.