Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found these today, no idea what they are except that they are French and old. Thought I'd share.

Article about: Found these at the flea market today, I liked the look of them so I splashed out a pound. I tend to buy randomly which is probably the worst way to collect! Looking at them I think they're p

Default Found these today, no idea what they are except that they are French and old. Thought I'd share.

Found these at the flea market today, I liked the look of them so I splashed out a pound. I tend to buy randomly which is probably the worst way to collect!

Found these today, no idea what they are except that they are French and old. Thought I'd share.Found these today, no idea what they are except that they are French and old. Thought I'd share.

Looking at them I think they're probably fundraising items but couldn't be sure for what. The one with the girl on has writing on the reverse and is probably some sort of children's' charity but the others have a military theme.

I got one today from the Esso garage....

Found these today, no idea what they are except that they are French and old. Thought I'd share.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Bet yours smells fresher than mine does!

Hello I would venture to guess they are tokens given in return for donation? Perhaps for war relief. The long arm extending off them is puzzling; I speculate that it could be utilized to go through a buttonhole for wear as a sign a person gave money to the cause (but they seem a bit wide for that purpose). Or Ned could be onto something with the tree, and could be placed on one during Christmas as a ornament. Which is when most organizations rely on kindness of people to give to those in need. But again its just a guess. I like them! Neat pick up. Best regards.

Brian

MAP
    ?

I do think Christmas ornament is a good guess given the shape and small pin hole at the op. (But I doubt that is what Ned was alluding to....LoL)
    Last edited by MAP; 08-14-2016 at 11:30 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

@ Michael Or was it? Lol!

Done some research and found out that they are fundraising items but from the first world war rather than the second, so I posted them in the wrong place. The Comite National De L'Enfance is still around and is a French organisation like Save the Children is in the U.K. The tags on them appear to be for pins so you could pin it to your garment to show you had supported the cause. I found this site with loads of information.
    https://poppyladymadameguerin.wordpress.com/

?

Yup, They are WW1 Fundraising badges, Paper ones were for small donations larger donations got lapel pins and medals, I have a fair few of the fundraising medals and can post some pics when I get home if anyone wants to see what they look like. Nice Find tho the paper ones were more common at the time but lots of them have ended up in landfill over the years.

Going through this old thread reminded me of ho much I miss Big Ned. Never met him, but loved his sense of humor. RIP Ned Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Going through this old thread reminded me of ho much I miss Big Ned. Never met him, but loved his sense of humor. RIP Ned Jim G.
    Yes... he had a great sense of humour, something that seems to be sadly lacking these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast