Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Friendly "Enemy Alien" Paybooks - including Dachau inmate

Article about: AB64's issued to Germans/Austrians serving with the British Forces, a couple I have identified close family members who died in the Holocaust but on others I have been unable to find family

?

Default Friendly "Enemy Alien" Paybooks - including Dachau inmate

AB64's issued to Germans/Austrians serving with the British Forces, a couple I have identified close family members who died in the Holocaust but on others I have been unable to find family trees etc but its safe to say they will have lost people close to them

Gustav Metzker, an Austrian from Vienna, he doesn't seem to be Jewish (although the R.C. entry against religion could be cover) I'm not sure why he came to the UK but he served in the Pioneer Corps then RAOC

Wilhelm Braun serving as William Winston Brown in 6th Airborne Armoured Reconnaissance Squadron – an Austrian Jew from Vienna – his parents were sent to the Lodz Ghetto where they were killed

Ludwig Israel serving as Louis Israel, I'm not sure if his surname was actually Israel or if this was based on the German law forcing all Jewish men to take this as their surname, he was a German Jew from Berlin he served in 248 Company Pioneer Corps

Wilhelm Franz Weiss there is a different name and number noted at the top, this appears to be an alias he used, an Austrian Jew from Vienna and served in the Pioneer Corps then HAA branch of the Royal Artillery. I believe his brother died in Auschwitz and his mother in Theresienstadt Ghetto.

Max John Tandlau serving as Tendlow, a German Jew originally from Hamburg but later in Wiesbaden, after Kristallnacht he was arrested and imprisoned in Dachau, within 6 months he had been released and travelled to England via Sweden where he was reunited with his wife and son. He served in the Pioneer Corps

Thanks for sharing these.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

13802893 Max Bronner who was born in Bielitz in 1903 at which point it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire after WW1 it became part of Poland, by 1938 Max was living in Vienna, after the Germans moved in he was picked up and sent to Dachau on 31/3/38 and from there to Buchenwald on 22/9/38 - at some point he was released and made his way to the UK and in 1940 joined the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps - he was discharged fairly quickly as medically unfit.

Very informative post, simply not something I've ever seen in the flesh before. You have an impressive collection AB64.