Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Article about: Now we have a selection of letter which he sent home. I felt I was intruding on their privacy when I first got these and read them. They are love letters. So I will just show a few here with

Default Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Hi Guys, this is an interesting husband and wife group which belongs to Lez and myself. It is rather sad as the whole lot ended up in a junk shop before it was rescued some years ago now. It is a very large group which includes a lot of paperwork and photos, even down to birth and marriage certificates. The thread will take me some time to build as there is a fair bit of stuff.

The couple were both Scottish.

I will start with the items which belonged to the husband, Capt. Norman Munn.

He started his military career with the Royal Artillery. He then became a very early member of No 4 Commando. He then transfered again, this time to the Cameronians, a Scottish Regt.

Here is his original military officers ID card. Also shown is a photo of him in the uniform of a 2nd Lt in the RA.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

Default Re: Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Large group photo from his time in No 4 Commando. He can be seen right in the centre, in the second row, just behind the CO's right shoulder.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

I suspect he joined the Commandos in order to see some action? I do not know if he ever fought with them or not? But by August 1942 he had transfered to the 2nd Battl The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and was now posted to India. Here is an other large group photo. I think this captures very well the typical look of a Scottish Regt serving in India. They are very smartly turned out.

The caption to the reverse of the large group photo was of course intended for his wife. He was known to her by his nick name of "Norrie". He is 7th from the left, back row.

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

?

Great thread Ade i think i'll enjoy this one
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul, I think you will

Here we have a nice large portrait photo of him in service dress uniform. Note the special pattern of the leather belt in black leather with twin shoulder straps, etc. As with all Rifle Regts the tunic buttons and insignia are in black.

It is dated 1942
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

Another photo from his time in India. Again the "look" is typical. The nice thing is most photos are captioned.

Here we see his future wife, Elizabeth, for the first time in this undated photo. But note the caption to the photo. It appears he was dating the girl who took the photo at the time

He was still in the RA. Note the gilt buttons and flaming grenade collar dogs.

They got married on 7th Feb. 1942.

We have the marriage cert.

What is really nice is that we have a couple of items seen in that very photo. Note the tartan ribbon to her bouquet of flowers and Capt Munn's tartan Trews.

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

Here we have a large photo of them taken on Honeymoon. He still wears the trews. They are nicely maker marked. When I checked them, I discovered a fragment of a Syrian banknote in the pocket. This fits in very well with his service in PAI Force.

Note the Regimental sweetheart broach worn by Mrs Munn in this photo and the second one I have shown.

Now a few photos of him wearing a Balmoral Bonnet on active service with PAI Force in 1942/1943.

The truck is a Lend Lease US made 1/2 ton Dodge.

There is also a large folder in the group full of hand drawn notes from when he took part in a minefield clearance course.

Attached Images Attached Images Husband & wife group: Army and SOE 

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast