Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting Photograph. Could this be Tiger 131?

Article about: Gents, Once again I find myself pawing through pictures and ephemera today and found this little gem. I bought it a couple of years ago and placed in it in a forgotten safe spot. I found it

Default Interesting Photograph. Could this be Tiger 131?

Gents,

Once again I find myself pawing through pictures and ephemera today and found this little gem. I bought it a couple of years ago and placed in it in a forgotten safe spot. I found it interesting for it is King George VI and Gen. Anderson inspecting the captured Tiger 131? Assuming the only intact one the Allies could get their hands on in Africa. (Which I had the chance to see 8 years ago in Bovington.)

Regards,

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Photograph.  Could this be Tiger 131?   Interesting Photograph.  Could this be Tiger 131?  

I think you’re right,

Here are a couple of links with some information,

King George VI visits North Africa and Malta

Revealed: How the Tiger 131 was captured intact in the Tunisian desert in 1943 | Bournemouth Echo

Thanks for sharing the photo with us too!

Willmore,

Thank you as well for providing the links! Adds an interesting twist especially when I laid hands on this tank as well!

Regards,

Joel

jwp
    ?

here's another pic, possibly in UK ?, looks like they have added British first army insignia to it !

Interesting Photograph.  Could this be Tiger 131?

jwp,

Love this picture! Proud moment and I'm sure upon inspection when captured, a scary moment too. Hence, the need for the 17 pounder down the road.

jwp
    ?

Glad you liked the pic, here's a colourised one, my dad was with first army in North Africa.

Interesting Photograph.  Could this be Tiger 131?

jwp,

Another great picture! I love the 1st Army Formation Sign painted on the hull. I raise my glass in your Dad's honor!

Regards,

Joel
    Last edited by buellmeister; 01-14-2021 at 04:12 PM.

jwp
    ?

I think the triangle insignia is for the 33rd tank brigade, I think my dad may have been in the vicinity of the capture of the tiger with the british 78th division but there seems to a couple of locations claimed for it.

jwp,

Your Dad was certainly in the thick of it. You should be very proud!

jwp
    ?

The 78th division was at longstop Hill which is close to where one of the locations was claimed to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast