Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting WW2 Era Letter Written by Navy Seabee to his future wife. He would later take part in the Battle of Okinawa.

Article about: This letter was written by a John Francis McDonald. He was born on July 9th 1917 in Bridgeport, Connecticut. During the war, he would serve in the Navy as a “Seabee” in the 130th Naval C

Default Interesting WW2 Era Letter Written by Navy Seabee to his future wife. He would later take part in the Battle of Okinawa.

Interesting WW2 Era Letter Written by Navy Seabee to his future wife. He would later take part in the Battle of Okinawa.
    This letter was written by a John Francis McDonald. He was born on July 9th 1917 in Bridgeport, Connecticut. During the war, he would serve in the Navy as a “Seabee” in the 130th Naval Construction Battalion. He was writing to his future wife, Mary Skane. The letter, written in 1944, reads:

“ Thursday Aug 24th,

Dear Mary,

Received your ever welcome letter today, and will try to answer it in an interesting manner.

Things are pretty much the same with me, still getting plenty of sunshine, and beer which is about all a fellow needs to get along out here.

I have a new hobby which is pretty interesting at times. I used to like to hitch hike rides in automobiles but now it’s aeroplanes, which are a little faster. I have a few hours to my credit now, but expect a lot more in the near future; to get a hop here is easy, as the pilots are good joes; as that is my new way of spending my idle hours.

I heard from your brother back a few days ago, it was his second letter in as many weeks. His short stay in Australia must have been an interesting one, by his description. He had the Bob Hope show and agreed in my observation of Patty Thomas, and gave her a 4.0+ which is tops in many talk. He has the same feeling for Australia as I have for Hawaii, it is a wonderful place but just for a visit.

Received a letter from Blachie, who is over in France. He had the opportunity of procuring ten quarts of champagne, which hit the spot. His description of the mademoiselles was something for the books, he being a married man, he had nothing to do with them.

I was glad to hear the weather took a sudden change to the good for you city people. LifeBuoy Soap must have done a land office business this summer with all the heat. We use camay and that isn’t even strong enough for some fellows.

I am glad to hear my congratulations to the newlyweds arrived on time. I figured it to arrive on Monday, but with my connections I suppose it was rushed. From your description of the wedding, it must have been a successful affair, and I sure would have liked to have been there to join in the fun, but you know Chet. no time off this summer for no one.

So Loretta is still singing, she has a swell voice, and I often wondered why she didn’t put it to use in a money making way.

You crying is something very unusual isn’t it. I don’t seem to remember ever hearing you cry, or have I. I am glad to hear you like my number one girl, she mentioned in one of her late letters that she had met you, and thinks you’re pretty nice, I am sorry that I never introduced you before. So please excuse, drop over some night, I’m sure you will be more than welcome.

Your wedding breakfast must have been good by your description, that must be where all the chicken is going. We only had it twice last week and steak twice. The potato situation hasn’t been up to far, lately. They have been slipping in the dehydrated ones, which are terrible in my estimation.

I haven’t heard anything about Roy lately, tho I know his blood pressure was running one way or the other, what he needs is a little Waikiki sun, it’s good for what ails a person.

Chuchie sure must have a position in the army, he has been in more outfits that have gone over and left him behind then Moe Artherer has been in battles, and I sure envy him, and hope he keeps missing the ship.

I hope your snapshots come out in good order, as your pictures are always welcome. I have given up posing for the time being, at least till my hair grows in, I had my regular clip and really got it close this time. Glad to hear “Going my way” we had it last evening and gets my vote for the award, tonight we have “And the angels sing” which is rated 4.0. Lately we have had up to date movies such as “Cover Girl”, “The story of Dr. Wassell” and others.

Glad you agree on my presidential selection, he should win by a land slide. I am glad you like my post war plans, but I probably could squeeze in a trip to South American providing it was run under my conditions.

Yesterday was my sixth month outside of the twelve mile limit, it really has passed in quick order.

Well Mary I will close for now, hoping this finds you in the best of health and what not. So as the fellow who was eating the chicken said, this is the end. HA HA.

Lots of love,
    John.

P.S. Say hello to the folks for me. “

Johns unit would serve on Saipan and would also take part in the Battle Of Okinawa. He would survive the war and return home. John and Mary would marry on October 26th 1946. John would pass away on January 3rd 1992 aged 74. Mary would pass away on August 27th 2012 aged 92. Including in the photos is a photo of John and Mary on their wedding day.

?

Hi Zero,
    May I just say what a great and important job you are doing in preserving the written social history of the war.
    Excellent work, sir.
    All the very best,
    Rob

Hi JB.

Thank you for sharing another interesting letter and I can only echo what Rob has said.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hello Rob,

I appreciate that! Thank you. I enjoy sharing the history of letters such as this. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Good day,

JB

- - ------- - -

Hey Will,

No problem! Always happy to share.

Good day,

JB