Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Large Group of Letters Written by General Sir Clive Liddell to French Girl in London 1941-1943.

Article about: The second item bought at our local War in the Vale show at Ashdown Camp Evesham today. Folder containing large collection of letters and envelopes handwritten by British WW1 & WW2 Gener

Default Large Group of Letters Written by General Sir Clive Liddell to French Girl in London 1941-1943.

The second item bought at our local War in the Vale show at Ashdown Camp Evesham today. Folder containing large collection of letters and envelopes handwritten by British WW1 & WW2 General Sir Clive Liddell to a French lady living in London. The letters were written to her between 1941 and 1943 and start off quite uniform and become more interesting. It would appear that the two were more than just friends having tea. Many of the letters are written on official stationary from various top class London Hotels such as the Savoy. In one letter the General writes " It will be very difficult to get to see you as my wife has joined me in London and she will probably stay around until she finds a nice hat or something". Included with the letters are two photographs of the General and a telegram all written to Mrs Froewis Russel. The seller was asking £50 and did try to haggle the price but to no avail so decided id have them. It was a toss between buying a relic T-34 tank track link or this set of letters and I think I made the right choice in the end. Regards Tim.Attachment 972440Attachment 972441Attachment 972442

Very interesting lot.

A shame there is no pic of the "lady".
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, Yes would have been nice to see what Mrs Marie Froewiss looked like, I will try and research further but it could well be the letters are all that is left with this lady. She must have liked the General to have kept his letters and one wonders what became of their 'friendship' as he became Governor of Gibraltar and his wife joined him and lived with him throughout this appointment. Regards, Tim

Cool pickup Tim, I hope you can find more out about it!
    Very interesting lot.