Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

My new panties & the 91st Infantry Division

Article about: Now that I have your attention…..What do you do when your recovering from a hip replacement….you buy stuff !!!...and you post stuff... Just added this little piece to my Camp Adair colle

Default My new panties & the 91st Infantry Division

Now that I have your attention…..What do you do when you're recovering from a hip replacement….you buy stuff !!!...and you post stuff...

Just added this little piece to my Camp Adair collection….

Camp Adair was a training camp for 4 major US Infantry divisions in WW2….when they left Camp Adair they went right overseas for additional training and then into battle…

Why Camp Adair ?....by coincidence I moved to Oregon ~ 15 years ago and live about 9 miles from the place and it is a great place to run my dogs off leash when it isn’t hunting season

Camp Adair then

Camp Adair now - (1) old main entrance (2) Armory building - last one standing

The 4 divisions that trained there were…
    • 91st Infantry “Wild West Division “ – Italy 1944
    • 96th Infantry “Deadeye Division” – Philippines and Okinawa 1944
    • 70th Infantry “Trailblazers Division” – France 1944
    • 104th Infantry “ Timberwolf Division” – France 1944

1942 – 1944 Infantry training – the 91st was the last division to ship out and left in July 1944

July 1944 – August 1944 it was used as a hospital for sailors and marines from the Pacific theater

August 1944 – July 1946 it was a POW camp for German and Italian prisoners….many of them working in the local agricultural area helping out short -handed farmers

For a short while part of it became an Air Force installation but the majority of the buildings were torn down and only the foundations, chimneys and one building remain today

Aside from atypical camp related items like postcards and my new panties I picked up some photos that belonged to someone in the 91st division HQ

Anyways….here are some pics

91st HQ staff in Italy...so far I've only identified 2 officers on this photo ....General Ralph Hospital(front center)...yes, that General Hospital...and the fellow to his right is Col Harry Ketcham 173 FA

a couple of group photos from the camp

the path of the 91st

At present time there is a nice memorial garden near the main entrance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new panties & the 91st Infantry Division  
    Last edited by KatManDude; 05-16-2021 at 03:23 PM.