Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Photos of recovered Luftwaffe aircraft and Berlin 1945

Article about: If a moderator feels that these should be in a different forum please move them. I recently inherited a small number of photos (amongst other things) following the passing of my uncle. The f

“Hitlers air shelter”
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photos of recovered Luftwaffe aircraft and Berlin 1945   Photos of recovered Luftwaffe aircraft and Berlin 1945  

GB,

First let me extend my condolences to you on the loss of your Uncle. These images are precious family heirlooms and it is wonderful that you inherited them. As you mentioned they appear to be on an airfield and based on the remarking of the aircraft with British markings this may have been an airfield where allies were either testing German aircraft or they were gathering the aircraft at this location for the eventual return to England and other countries to perform tests on the airframes etc. The ME262 two seater version is a great photo and again with the British Markings I would not be surprised if the RAF was test flying this aircraft, and just so there was no confusion from the ground marked appropriately..

I have some similar photos from a GI who brought back a Luftwaffe photo album and in the front pages are photos obviously taken by the German of various aircraft and the back of the album is where the GI put the photos he had taken. His unit ended up at Augsburg and later moved to Lager-Lechfeld which was a test airfield which was full of unique German aircraft including ME262's and other experimental aircraft.

Looking forward to reading the captions on the back of your images..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

PS

The Berlin Photos are incredible.. I recognize all the landmarks. I was a Soldier in the US Army Stationed in Berlin in the 80's and 90's. It was incredible to see these buildings nearly 40 years after the end of WW2.. These are some great images and the captions on the back are great descriptions.. The Hitler's Air Shelter image may be one of the Bunker entrances...

“Russian military monument in the ???”

Soviet War Memorial (Tiergarten) - Wikipedia
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photos of recovered Luftwaffe aircraft and Berlin 1945   Photos of recovered Luftwaffe aircraft and Berlin 1945  

Photos of recovered Luftwaffe aircraft and Berlin 1945  

WOW.. Great photos. Another part of history recovered.
    Thanks for sharing these.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

I’d be interested to know what these guns are, they look a bit like aircraft canons that have mounted for ground use

That’s it I’m afraid. If you’re interested (and missed it) here’s a thread for the Luftwaffe dagger he brought home: Sad looking Luftwaffe 2nd pattern dagger by Alcoso, Solingen with a little history

Great photo's , Thanks for sharing, Regards paul

TWS
    ?

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    “Russian military monument in the ???”
    Unter den Linden.

It's a main boulevard in the center of Berlin. The Brandenburg Gate is on it.

Named because of the Linden trees planted along it. So if one was strolling on the boulevard, they were walking "under the Linden (trees)"
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    If a moderator feels that these should be in a different forum please move them.

I recently inherited a small number of photos (amongst other things) following the passing of my uncle. The following photos are of or from his father who was in the RAF, although I don’t know what his role was. I can identify him in some of the photos, however, I do not know who the rest are but the photos all came together.

From the images it would appear to some sort of temporary camp in Germany, most likely on an airfield.
    Obviously I can recognise the aircraft, however, I would welcome comments.
    Where the photographs are inscribed I will do a separate post (as posting from my phone always jumbles up the images)

First up are the general camp life images.
    Great set of pictures, I can't decide whether the truck on the right in the first photo is a German Phänomen Granit or not.

?

in the photo the 9th. one down, I rely like the SAD IRON, setting in front of the guy. I wonder where that the stove is that it would be heated up on? today we use them for DOOR STOPS. antique shops have many of then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast